Bali HiKath - Cloudy, 25C, F5 East
Mon 21st May 2012, Ormos Bali - Crete
Not a good day so far. We left Rythymno for Iraklion knowing it was likely we would be motoring into an Easterly- very unusual for Crete. But the wind and swell both built, until we were bashing into the waves and only managing 3 knots at full revs. Sailing was no better- although we sailed well reefed at 5 knots our beating zig-zag course was taking for ever.
In my dreams!Barrie
Wed 16th May 2012, Chania
How do explain this to Kath? Arabian pirates, hareem to go, or a call centre doing staff training?
Up against it!Barrie
Tue 15th May 2012, Chania - Crete
We had a great sail yesterday despite having to motor for a couple of hours at the start of the day. Once we had wind it kept building giving us a blast of a sail and an average boat speed of about 7.5knots. Unfortuately by the time we arrived in Chania harbour we had a steady F6 with some F7. Our boat is difficult to park in normal conditions but with F7 on the beam it was a bit of a nightmare. We eventually managed to get alongside a wall.
Sat 12th May 2012, Kapsali - Island of Kithera
The island of Kithera serves as a useful stopping off place between mainland Greece and Crete. We could only stop for a couple of nights because strong winds were being forecast so we made the most of our time by hiring a small car.
Fri 11th May 2012, Porto Kayio
We had to motor the whole passage from Koroni as there was hardly any wind. At least this gave us some time to explore...or so we thought.
Where the wind blows?Barrie
Thu 10th May 2012, Koroni
Our first day sailing was just great. We had a nice sailing breeze and we had escaped Kalamata. We could relax and take a break from all the work we had been doing on the boat. The only slight problem was that the wind was blowing in the wrong direction. No problem....we just change our plan and head for Koroni. Our early start the following morning was rewarded with a nice view of the sun rising behind some other boats in the anchorage.
Thu 10th May 2012, Kalamata
The last few weeks in Kalamata have flown by! It's been mostly hard work fixing and improving bits of the boat then discovering more bits of the boat that needed fixing! The boat is now ready to go so we're off.
Red, Red RainKath
Thu 19th Apr 2012, Kalamata
The launch went somoothly, but we are still in Kalamata, tied up in the marina. Barrie is busy servicing engines and improving the battery power management system. I'm being a good boatwife, keeping Barrie fed and Yarona clean and tidy. I've also been working with the VAO office staff on a large grant bid for Sierra Leone- it's looking good and we must get lucky at some point!
Where did the sun go?Barrie
Mon 9th Apr 2012, Kalamata
We've had some fantastic weather since arriving in Kalamata with temperatures in the mid-twenties. Yesterday, the clouds rolled in and we've been treated to a day and a half of heavy continuous rain. The boat gets lifted back into the water tomorrow at last!
Thu 5th Apr 2012, Kalamata
The sun awning is finished! I ran out of grommets yesterday so there is one brass one amongst the chrome- apparently all Turkish carpets have a deliberate mistake woven in to them to prove to the gods we know we are not perfect... I'm hoping it will reduce the temperature inside Yarona by several degrees.
[ Contents ]
|We also have a website: www.yarona.co.uk|