Yofy

Sailing in the winds of peace

06 December 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
30 May 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
06 January 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
24 September 2015 | Gulf of Aqaba
25 March 2015 | Gulf of Aqaba
24 January 2015 | Eilat Marina
28 September 2014 | Eilat marina
30 April 2014 | Bay of Aqaba
29 December 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
12 November 2013 | Bay of Aqaba
24 September 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
11 June 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
27 April 2013 | Gulf of aqaba
07 January 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
11 October 2012 | Red Sea
09 September 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
28 April 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
13 February 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
22 December 2011 | Gulf of Aqaba
10 October 2011 | Gulf of Aqaba

Dream a Little Dream

11 October 2012 | Red Sea
sunny, clear skies, calm
If there's one thing I've learned this year, it's to be aware of people who tell you that they want to be just like you. You know - the ones who tell you that they want to do exactly what you are doing. Over several months we've had not one, but three different people tell us that they admire, and want to duplicate our lifestyle. Now it can be quite a compliment to be told that you are someone's role model. I should know I have a few myself. However, since these people have approached us, I've learned a thing or two about role models and how we perceive them.

Let's be honest. When you blog, you only tell the good stuff. When guests come to visit, you stuff your dirty laundry under the V berth along with your unpaid bills, and you show them the best time you can. So, it shouldn't be such a surprise when they sigh and say that this is how they want to live too. Quiet nights at anchor, delicious meals, and a devil may care attitude may be alluring but the flip side of the coin might not be so pretty.

We discovered just that in August when we escorted a friend around Croatia while he searched for boats. We've been hearing about Croatia since the late eighties. Manny's interest perked when he heard about the wonderful cruising grounds and the flourishing marine trade. So, this year when the opportunity presented itself, we jumped at the chance to visit Croatia and do a little business as well.

Flying into Zagreb, we rented a car and spent two weeks driving through the mountains and down to the coast to Dubrovnik. We took our time hiking through nature reserves, exploring old towns and visiting every marina along the coast.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Manny poked his nose into various mechanics's sheds, explored the aisles of yacht chandleries and chatted with brokers. While he searched out a new transmission for Yofy, Manny was directed to the ZF dealer in Croatia and to a fabricator of local gears. We didn't find the local fabricator but after a long search, in the residential neighbourhood of a tiny village, we did find the ZF dealer.

The mechanic's shop was in the garage behind his home. The tidy building was surrounded by pots of colourful flowers and trim hedges. When Manny walked in the door he was greeted by the workshop of his dreams. Long, orderly tables displayed engines and transmissions in various stages of repair. Mechanics wearing clean aprons quietly went about their work. In the end we didn't buy our gearbox because they didn't have one on hand and we couldn't wait for an order to be delivered, but if your looking for a repair to your transmission in Croatia, then go to Sukosan village near Zadar. Walk along the waterfront till you come to the yellow house, knock on the door and ask for Dado.

We stopped for a night in the quiet village of Stari Castle. The next morning we walked along the seaside to the old castle, perched on a rocky ledge in the sea.

Photobucket

Spying a group of masts in the distance, Manny and I continued to walk until we came upon the marina. Here it was changeover day for the bustling charter businesses. The long line of docks was chock-a-block with spanking new charter fleets. We stood amazed at the contrast to the sleepy little town as we watched shuttle after shuttle unload new groups of customers in front of the marina office.

Photobucket

We swam in the crystal clear water along the many beaches, explored old towns, ate some of the best seafood meals we've known and slept in lovely rooms with balconies overlooking the Adriatic. Everywhere we went people were helpful, marinas were top notch (although very expensive) and the beer was cheap.

And what about our friend? In one moment of pure synchronicity our friend found the boat he was looking for. Within minutes of spotting a Bavaria 37 that was for sale, he declared that this was the boat for him. We cautioned love at first sight, but nothing we could say could dampen his enthusiasm. He found the broker, looked at the boat, talked about the price and returned to our accommodation set on the purchase.

The next day Manny went along to check the boat out. Despite his wariness, Manny could find nothing wrong. The boat had been kept by a fastidious owner. Everything looked ship shape. Moreover, the boat had a stainless steel anchor, 70 meters of stainless anchor chain and a stainless anchor winch. The sails were in new condition, there was a new dingy and outboard, there were spare parts for
nearly everything on board, and the spotless engine ran well. Every locker turned up a new delight. Even the price was right. Gradually Manny's caution turned to enthusiasm. Our friend made an appointment to close the deal and we all went out for a celebratory dinner. This boat certainly was a dream come true!
Over the last days of our trip, we congratulated our friend on a spectacular deal and talked about delivering the boat next spring. Then we flew home.

In the airport, our friend began to backtrack. Maybe it wasn't the right boat after all. Maybe the owner was hiding something. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to buy a boat here. Maybe.... We watched in astonishment while he convinced himself to back out of the deal. Nothing we could say could convince him otherwise. Within forty eight-hours of arriving home, he had reneged on the deal and dropped all thoughts of buying a boat.

As astounded as we were at this person's behaviour, I found myself thinking a lot about why this happened. Everything had gone well till our friend began to look at marina fees, insurance, cruising permits, change of ownership and boat registration. It wasn't just money, because in the end with all the costs the boat still was a great deal, it was the bureaucracy - the lawyers, the paperwork, the hassle. The delivery which back home had looked like a romantic sail through the Med, became a difficult passage once we were in Croatia. In reality it all seemed a little too much work.

Role models are people who help us strive to outgrow our current limitations. We see in them something that urges us to do better. The problem begins when we romanticize their lives and ignore the hard work it took them to get there.

Living aboard a sailboat can be a dream for many people. They see a carefree lifestyle far from the drudgery of everyday problems. In reality it often is hard work. Uncomfortable conditions, cruising regulations, weather, politics and up scaling marina fees make it hard for us all. For many people the answer is to charter a boat and share the dream for a week or two every year. Some dreams are just that - fantasies that provide a little rest from what we perceive as our boring day to day routine. For the few that have a lot of determination and who are willing to make the effort, a dream can become a reality.

As for us, the next time someone looks at us with dreamy eyes and declares that they want to be just like us - to do exactly what we're doing - we're going to sart off by letting them change the pump on a clogged head.
Comments
Vessel Name: Yofy
Vessel Make/Model: Fortune 30
Hailing Port: Red Sea
Crew: Robyn and Manny
About:
Our names are Manny Kremer and Robyn Coulter. We have been living on, and mucking around in boats most of our adult lives. Manny, who is an electrician, marine mechanic and refrigeration and air conditioning technician earns his keep maintaining other people's boats. [...]
Extra: Sailing in the winds of peace
Home Page: http://yogaandboatmaintenance.weebly.com/

Yofy

Who: Robyn and Manny
Port: Red Sea