Yofy

Sailing in the winds of peace

06 December 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
30 May 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
06 January 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
24 September 2015 | Gulf of Aqaba
25 March 2015 | Gulf of Aqaba
24 January 2015 | Eilat Marina
28 September 2014 | Eilat marina
30 April 2014 | Bay of Aqaba
29 December 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
12 November 2013 | Bay of Aqaba
24 September 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
11 June 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
27 April 2013 | Gulf of aqaba
07 January 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
11 October 2012 | Red Sea
09 September 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
28 April 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
13 February 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
22 December 2011 | Gulf of Aqaba
10 October 2011 | Gulf of Aqaba

As Time Goes By

27 April 2013 | Gulf of aqaba
37 degrees C winds S 5 knots
March arrived and with it the winds and strong temperature fluctuations that characterize spring in this area of the world. It seemed that only yesterday we hauled out our winter blankets and warm clothes and now here we were looking for short sleeves and shade again.

And then before we knew it, winter returned. April ushered in cold weather again and now we were scrambling for long sleeves and warmer blankets. Last week there was snow on the peaks in the north of Israel! Here on the Gulf of Aqaba, days of serene calm have been followed by strong winter winds with westerly williwaws charging down the mountain slopes. It's been an interesting and challenging spring for local sailors.

We've been busy this winter and if my lack of posts shows nothing else, it goes to prove just how little time I've had for writing. Our travels to Croatia only served to heighten our enthusiasm for sailing Yofy up to the Med and so, much of this winter has been spent working extra hard to build up our cruising kitty. Manny's taken on several new projects building custom AC and refrigeration units for neighbouring boats. One of these projects was for Uri and Racheli who have been building a boat in the backyard of their kibbutz home.

 photo 010-1_zpsdb822062.jpg

My yoga teaching took on new energy and I found myself busier than ever with workshops and new groups. On Yofy, I began to add several coats of Cetol to our brightwork. Last year, this standard routine was thrown when our local supplier of Cetol went dry. We waited month after month for a new supply to arrive and I squirmed as I watched the sun eat away at the underlying coats. In the end the Cetol never arrived and we learned that the product had changed hands and was now being sold by International as "Woodskin". So this winter I was faced by the grim job of sanding everything down to wood and laying on five to seven new coats of finish.

 photo cetol_zpse77876e4.jpg

Between coats we were contacted by a couple of sailors interested in improving their skills while on holiday in Eilat. Would we agree to take them out and teach them some sailing? We met and chatted about their expectations and on a windy Saturday at the end of December we took them out. We were happy to hear that they had a grand time and learned so many things in just a few hours.

Another Saturday about half an hour before we went out sailing, Manny got a call from someone he hadn't seen in 40 years. Uri and Manny served in the army together many years ago. We instantly invited Uri to come sailing with us and an emotional reunion followed. Afterwards we both marveled over how they had recognized each other. If it had been twenty years earlier when they had long hair, I think it would have been more difficult. As it was, they had a terrific day sailing, reliving old stories and catching up.

 photo 012_zps34d94f03.jpg

Mid winter in the wee hours of the morning, there was a fire just down the dock from us. It was a cold night and we had all our hatches and ports closed. Neither of us heard the shouts of "fire!" or the sirens as the fire trucks approached. We didn't even hear the propane tanks exploding, but early the next morning while taking out the garbage Manny saw the last of the firemen leaving and went to inspect the damage.

 photo Fire_zpsf638d814.jpg

Four boats were lost in the fire. Luckily no one was injured. It was quite a sobering sight but I think one of the most frightening aspects of this fire was that none of the liveaboards woke up.

As winter came to a close and evenings became warmer we decided to take a break and celebrate with the first BBQ of the season. Manny fired up his dockside smoker and put some charcoal on the grill. We invited our neighbours and before we knew it there was a spontaneous dockside party. For one evening we all let go of maintenance projects, the need to earn some cash and summer plans and had a few beers and some good BBQ.

 photo 033_zpsb0c56831.jpg

Do you sometimes look back and wonder where all the time has gone? My father used to tell me that as you get older time seems to fly by faster and faster. Or as Dr Seuss said "How did it get so late so soon?" And here we are at the end of April scrambling to get a long list of projects done on Yofy so that we can do some serious sailing this summer. But that is another blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Yofy
Vessel Make/Model: Fortune 30
Hailing Port: Red Sea
Crew: Robyn and Manny
About:
Our names are Manny Kremer and Robyn Coulter. We have been living on, and mucking around in boats most of our adult lives. Manny, who is an electrician, marine mechanic and refrigeration and air conditioning technician earns his keep maintaining other people's boats. [...]
Extra: Sailing in the winds of peace
Home Page: http://yogaandboatmaintenance.weebly.com/

Yofy

Who: Robyn and Manny
Port: Red Sea