Yolo - Bermuda

20 March 2017 | Belmont estates where the coco beans are dried
11 March 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
11 March 2017
03 March 2017
26 February 2017
22 February 2017 | Sunset from Happy Island
19 February 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
17 February 2017 | St George's Grenada
12 January 2017
04 January 2017
29 December 2016
22 December 2016

The last few days

20 March 2017 | Belmont estates where the coco beans are dried
We had a lovely sail back to Prickly Bay last Sunday. I can honestly say that it was the best boating day of the trip! It was beautiful. Once we got to the bottom of Grenada and turned the conrner towards Prickly Bay it was a hard slog for a couple of miles. Dirk was happy to have his house back on the mooring, called home.

We have been out and about sightseeing in Grenada. Friday we took buses up to Belmont estate, located in the north eastern part of the island. 3 different buses were required to get there. We went up 2,000' through the rain forest and back down the other side to the second largest town call Grenville. We stretched our legs and had a look at the local markets and produce. Grenville has more local fresh fruit and vegetables, as it is easier to grow them in that part of Grenada. We hopped onto another bus which droppped us off at Belmont estates - 400 acres estate that grows coco trees nutmeg, maintains a milking goat herd and plant nursery. It was started back in 17th century as a sugar cane plantation but convert to nutmeg in world war 2 and then to coco after hurricane Ivan hit in 2004. It was like stepping back in time. Most of the method are still the old fashion ones. I finally got to see how it is grown and processed. They send the coco beans to a co-op where it is converted into chocolate. I have fallen in love with the Grenadian dark chocolate,!
We ate lunch at the restaurant. I had green banana and nutmeg soup followed by local goat cheese salad it was outstanding!! We took the 3 buses back to boat. It was nice to be on terra firma for the day.

We hired a taxi driver to give us a tour of the island, so we could get to places not on a bus route. Paul took us up the west coast of the island. We stopped at fort Frederick, over looking St. George's, The nutmeg factory - in Gouyave, the chocolate factory in Victoria. The chocolate factory showed us the process of chocolate from the dried beans to chocolate. It was another slice of heaven as we were able to sample all the different % of chocolate. We ate lunch at the top of the island at A beautiful hotel and restaurant - Petit Anse on the coast looking at towards Carriacou. The landscape on East coast was not as spectacular as the west coast, however we stopped and saw a few sights along the way. I can now say I have been all over Grenada!!

Tomorrow I'm heading back to windy Cold Bermuda!! It is going to be a shock to my system for sure, however it will be good to see family and friends.
Comments
Vessel Name: svyolo
Vessel Make/Model: Freedom 32
Hailing Port: Bermuda