Zephyr: The Adventure Continues

03 July 2013 | St. John
25 June 2013 | BVI's
07 June 2013 | Virgin Islands
29 May 2013 | Spanish Virgin Islands
27 May 2013 | Puerto Rico
22 May 2013 | Puerto Rico South Coast
12 May 2013 | Between DR and PR
11 May 2013 | Dominican Republic
03 May 2013 | Dominican Republic
25 April 2013 | Turks & Caicos, Provo Island
22 April 2013 | Turks & Caicos, Provo Island
19 April 2013 | Turks & Caicos, Provo Island
05 April 2013 | Bahamas
30 March 2013 | Exumas, Bahamas
30 March 2013 | Exumas, Bahamas
15 March 2013 | Exumas, Bahamas
10 March 2013 | Exumas, Bahamas
05 March 2013 | Bahamas, Exuma chain
03 March 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
27 February 2013 | Berry Islands, Bahamas

Culebra

29 May 2013 | Spanish Virgin Islands
Holly
We headed due east on the 29th to Culebra, which was WAY cool. It was about 35 miles of snotty weather so we were psyched to get to Culebra's amazing harbor called Ensenada Honda. As you sail toward the entrance to the harbor you see a long reef that runs along the island. Behind the reef is one of the calmest anchorages we've found. Basically, you're getting smacked by waves and spray and right next to you (about 250 yards) there are boats sitting peacefully. Anyway - it looks pretty cool. We anchored there.

Culebra is a little island with a bustling town center, gorgeous beaches and a great vibe. We rented a jeep one of the days & drove all over the island. It reminded me a little of block island but with a Puerto Rican flair. We met a family we named the Vikings. They are Danes who came over from Europe in nov & were headed to the Chesapeake. Our kids enjoyed their kids and the parents were neat - one is a Canadian oceanographer and the other a Danish biologist who studies ocean toxins.

After a few days of Culebra we made a 2 mile hop to Culebrita & picked up a mooring. The pictures will not do this place justice. The big event here was the sea turtles. There was one in particular (we named him Tommy the Turtle) who would not leave us alone. At first it was awesome cuz we dove right next to him and got up close and personal, but then he started chasing us and snapping at our limbs. Then he bit the back of our boat. We finally ditched him by calling over some snorkelers to check him out & then he followed them.
Comments
Vessel Name: zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Ft Lauderdale

Port: Ft Lauderdale