Adventures in Zep Tepi

02 December 2006 | Ft. Pierce
14 November 2006 | In the Atlantic
09 November 2006 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
09 November 2006 | Beaufort, NC
03 November 2006 | Safely in Norfolk
02 November 2006 | Solomon's Island, MD
29 October 2006 | Eastern Shore
25 October 2006 | Annapolis, MD
12 October 2006 | Home in Austin
04 October 2006 | Annapolis
08 September 2006 | Eastport Yacht Club
07 September 2006 | Solomon's Island
07 September 2006 | Solomons Island
14 August 2006 | Norfolk
04 August 2006 | Abeam Camp Lejuene NC
05 July 2006 | Off the coast of SC
01 July 2006 | St. Augustine
30 June 2006 | Smyrna Beach Yacht Club
29 June 2006 | Eau Gaille
20 June 2006 | 5 miles SE of Miami

Lessons Learned

20 June 2006 | 5 miles SE of Miami
Rusty
I learned, or more properly, relearned three lessons this morning. First, if something feels wrong, stop and check it out. Second, if something sounds wrong, stop and check it. Thirefod, and most importantly, if Kay pipes up on any of the first two points stop and check out what she is talking about.

Let me explain.

The first event occurred when raising the main sail. It wouldn't go to the top, and every thing that normally got in the way was fine. I let it go for a while, knowing that I needed to get back to it and inspect things that I had not before suspected of fouling. Sure enough, after about 15 minutes I found a pulley on the #2 reefing line snubbed up under the boom. It was locked in place and preventing the sail from rising. A quick and easy fix.

Next, after going out Angel Fish Creek, above the Ocean Reef Club, and entering the Atlantic for the first time, we ran into some really skinny water. Down to 2.6 Feet! I slowed down to a crawl and headed east for some deeper water. That's when I first noticed something rumbling in the starboard engine. Should have shut her down right then and gone over the side. This brings me to number three as well. Earlier, as we had left the dock at Gilbert's Kay had said she felt something rough in the way the engines were running. Should have listened. Anyway, this time I felt it for sure. We stopped the engines and hove too. I went over the side to see what was up. Sure enough, a big wad of trap line and sea weed was wrapped around the starboard prop, and a smaller amount was wrapped around the port. I rigged a safety line and wrapped it around my waist and kept diving on the problem until I managed to untangle the mess on both sides. The water was crystal clear and warm. A great morning exercise.

We are now back under sail and power making much better speed!

We raised the tall buildings of Miami and South Beach about 1030 and are now just a few miles south of Government Cut. Not much wind, but a beautiful day at sea. Some thunderstorm activity out to the north and west. More is forecast, but we should be safely tucked in the Lauderdale Yacht Club before the afternoon thunderstorms really get going.

Many lessons to go for sure, but I'll try not to re-learn to many. Sometimes I think, "what would Hornblower do"!
Comments
Vessel Name: Zep Tepi
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavourcat 44
Hailing Port: Austin, Texas
Crew: Rusty & Kay
About: Chelsea, Wylie, Beckett, Parker
Extra: Now begins the second voyage of Zep Tepi. St. Pete to Newport and back!

Zep Tepi Permanent Party

Who: Rusty & Kay
Port: Austin, Texas