Sailing Scot

Join Capt. Tom and Crew on his exciting voyages as he crosses the World's Oceans

23 June 2015
22 June 2015
21 June 2015
19 June 2015
18 June 2015
16 June 2015
12 June 2015
09 June 2015
06 June 2015
04 June 2015
03 June 2015
01 June 2015
26 May 2015
25 May 2015 | Port Elizabeth
25 November 2013 | 30 deg 32 min S and 016 deg 11 min E

Palma update

25 January 2012 | Palma
Tom ZS1TA
Picture: The Europa lighthouse


The quest is never ending and I am chasing weather information almost as soon as I open my eyes in the morning. Searching for a suitable radio signal I get the download going and then have a chance to make a cup of breakfast tea.

The weather systems depression is still there although now gradually starting to bring about the change that we are waiting for. Wind circulating the system is being funneled between two mountain ranges in central Europe giving rise to the infamous MISTRAL blowing from the north and blocking our path not only with strong winds but also large swells and wave patterns.

All is ready on board and the mooring lines feel like tethers holding us back. We strain at them with a similarity to a race horse on a knee-halter. Eager to be free of the restraint and surge ahead on our journey.

All is not lost however as the marina is very large hold a myriad of of boats of all shapes and sizes. Amongst them are of course others that I recognize from the Southern Wind Stable and it it a pleasure to see them again in new surroundings. Arriving for pre-dinner drinks at a small tavern some of the crew are already there socializing with some of the other yacht crews. Going through the introductions I am struck by by a face that seems familiar. It turns out to be someone to whom I handed a boat over to at the end of a delivery seven years ago. He now has a beard that hampered the first recognition and it is marvelous to meet old friends in this way.

Sunday evening found us behaving like lemmings and following the crowds to the embankment at the Cathedral. Being the end of the San Sebastian festival we had heard that there would be a fireworks display. With throngs of people around it dawned on us that the site of the display was a barge in the outer harbour. It might have been better to have been on board and closer to the display but the die was cast and here we were here with only minutes to the start. A trail streaked up into the sky and burst into a shower of sparkles, several seconds later the explosive boom reached us and the show began. For an amazing thirty minutes we were treated to possibly one of the most dramatic pyrotechnic displays imaginable.

On a walk about I saw a stone wall with a wrought iron gate and a small sign indicating a public garden. Entering I found myself in what seemed a piece of heaven. Lush greens surrounded a stone walkway that meandered through the garden that had been built on a rocky slope complete with a stream gurgling as it flowed over a rocky course. Nestled between two large apartment blocks this not just a garden but a verdant lung in the concrete jungle. Well done to the unknown planer with the foresight not to turn the rocks into another foundation.

Poised and ready to depart this haven I wish you good night from the STP marina here in Palma.

Cheers, Tom.
Vessel Name: Allora
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: Tom and 2 Other
About:
Extra:
This Blog is being managed on Tom's behalf by Shaun ZS1RA. www.sailblogs/member/leopard Tom is a part time sailor, part time engineer, part time electronics expert, etc... He has successfully delivered and crewed on Multi Million Dollar Yachts for Southern Wind Yachts amongst many [...]

Tom Ambrose - ZS1TA

Who: Tom and 2 Other
Port: Cape Town