Just 2 Outrageous

Its How We Roll

21 March 2023 | Jimento Cays and Ragged Island
05 February 2023 | Salt Pond, Thompson Bay, Long Island
14 January 2023 | Lee Stocking Island..Research Center
24 December 2022 | Great Harbour Cay....Bahamas
20 December 2022 | Lake Sylvia, Florida
10 December 2022 | Peck Lake
22 November 2022 | Fernandina
13 November 2022
09 March 2020
03 February 2020 | George Town Bahamas
23 January 2020 | Lee Stocking Island
09 January 2020 | Staniel Cay
20 December 2019 | Lake Sylvie Ft Lauderdale
05 December 2019 | Vero Beach
16 November 2019
13 November 2019 | Pipeline Creek
13 October 2019 | CANADA

The Jumentos and Ragged Islands, take 2

08 February 2017
22 14.49 'N:75 45.09'W
[d] 2017-02-08
[T] The Jumentos and Ragged Islands, take 2
[b] The Ti Amo crew decided to come along with us back down to the Ragged Islands. This was a welcome surprise as we thought they were going to head for Farmer's Cay instead. It is always great to have some travelling companions.
On Feb 1 we headed for Hog Cay cut in 15 to 25 knot winds . The run to the cut wasn't too bad in 2 to 3 foot seas. We didn't time the tide very well and found ourselves to be a little bit late coming through the cut which meant a strong current running against us and lower water than we would have liked to see but we made it with no issues.
Once through the cut the weather was much different on the other side and we were able to sail on a nice beam reach to Water Cay. This was our 5th time crossing the tropic of cancer in the last five days! We anchored near the northern end of the island, tucked in close to the beach and nicely out of the wind. There were several squalls through the night but we were pretty comfortable.
Since we had explored Water Cay the previous week we decided to push further south the next morning to Flamingo Cay. It was only 14 nautical miles. There were some passing squalls continuing in the morning so we delayed our departure until they were gone. The wind was still blowing at about 20 knots downwind so we just rolled out the jib and had a nice ride. We arrived in the early afternoon and found a nice spot in the two palms anchorage. Only one palm tree survived hurricane Matthew but we saw that some cruiser's had planted a new palm tree in it's place to make sure the name of the anchorage would live on.
We launched the dinghy and set out to find some snorkelling before shark o'clock (4pm). It didn't take long to find some nice coral heads to snorkel as well as a cave at the water's edge that you could drive your dinghy right into. We spent another full day at Flamingo. We hiked across the island in the morning on a trail that passed by pools of water trapped in razor rock. These tidal pools had small pink shrimp and crabs in them. The trail ended at a beautiful beach which had the remnants of a crashed airplane just at the water's edge. By late morning it was getting pretty hot so we loaded up the snorkel gear and headed out in the dinghy for some more underwater exploration. When we returned to the boat for lunch we noticed a fishing boat had arrived in the anchorage. Greg and Glenda went out to see if he was selling any fish and came back with a big bag of grouper. Paul, Greg and Glenda went out for a tour of the Lady Marie and had a great chat with George who was from Eluthera. He and his crew were planning to be fishing in the area for 20 days or so before returning north with their catch. We had a quick lunch then headed out in the dinghy again in the opposite direction in search of more coral. The reefs were spaced out but the water was really clear and noticeably warmer than Water Cay. We had a remora hanging around under the dinghies which at a quick glance looks like a small shark (2 feet) but as you get closer it more resembles a catfish. They are very curious, he came right up to me and looked in my mask just before I climbed into the dinghy. We had sundowners on board Ti Amo before calling it an early night after a full day of land and sea exploration.
The wind really died down over night to less than 10 knots. We motor-sailed thirty-three nautical miles south, to Buena Vista Cay. We fished along the way with the hand-line and landed five barracudas. These intimidating looking fish put up a good fight and are fun to catch n release. Paul's fishing lure wasn't looking so new at the end of that day. It was chewed up and had barracuda teeth stuck in the side of it. We arrived at the anchorage at 14:00 so with two hours left we jumped in the dinghy and found some great snorkelling close by. There was a pretty strong current but lots of nice coral and reef fish. We also saw a stingray sleeping in the sand beside a coral head.
Superbowl Sunday we had another jib sail in 20 knots of wind to Hog Cay in the Ragged Islands. We made it! Yet another milestone. We've joined the club of a few adventurous souls to make it to the ragged islands. So glad we decided to take the path less travelled.
We found Migration and Helios in the anchorage and got settled then headed over to Puddle Jumper. Puddle Jumper was a large catamaran anchored near us who was taking anyone who wanted to go from Hog Cay to Ragged Island for a superbowl party. We are not really football fans but we are fans of a good party so what the heck. About 35 people piled on the catamaran and I think it could easily have held another 35. We went to the government dock on Ragged Island where we were met by two trucks which we piled into the back of for the trip to Silvertail lodge. The same two trucks delivered us back to the cat after the game. We met several people that evening who head straight to the ragged islands by passing all the other Bahamas islands to get here then stay for the winter. You need to be pretty well self sufficient but you can order groceries which will be delivered by mailboat to the government dock. There are fewer protected anchorages in the ragged islands but there are some, you just always have to be tuned to the weather and ready to react.
The next day the hunters headed out in search of lobster. They got four large ones. Paul spotted a large reef shark right after he got in the water. It would take some getting used to hunting with these predators around. I think every time they got in the water there were sharks with them. This particular shark took off but he kept coming back which caused Paul and Charlie to have a discussion about whether or not they should continue to hunt with that guy hanging around. The other cruisers told us the day before there had been a large shark swimming right along the beach with it's dorsal fin out of the water. Glenda, Greg and opted for some hiking and search on the east side beach for some sea beans. We did score lots of heart beans and one hamburger bean. I collected enough heart beans that we could make a sign with our boat name to hang in the Hog Cay Yacht Club. The yacht club is a cool little tiki hut that the cruiser's have constructed on the beach and is the site of many a sundowner, bonfire and jam session. We participated in one that evening that was really a ton of fun. During that party we met Joanne from Free Bird who spent her career in the US Navy chasing submarines. The same line of work Paul's dad was in. Paul could name a few associates of his father that Joanne knew well. Again, we find it is a very small world. Crazy, we are in the middle of nowhere with less than 20 people and yet there is this connection. Wow.
Comments
Vessel Name: 2 Outrageous
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42mkii 1996
Hailing Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior
Crew: Paul and Laurie
About: Just a couple of pirates
Extra: - We live in Arnprior Ontario Canada in the Ottawa Valley, often found hanging out in Bath or Kingston. Possibly coming to a driveway near you.
Home Page: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.findmespot.com%2Fs%2F6585%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR05DoPHdzcpSiQMpCN0QbmoCpI6nDpcntlVI--JFxbLF_xmnT-7U_gJY6c&h=AT1zZX0oH4OOYqrtNx95pxPKRBhVdadigrRlzNntTJa_Xuf2F7iJ2jxU8fdDwoHnkJH9P7MGHggVuaToa4T_dDjsELPU0H6-0RbzS_tz
Social:
2 Outrageous's Photos - Main
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
2 Photos
Created 13 November 2019
47 Photos
Created 10 February 2019
19 Photos
Created 24 September 2018
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2017
52 Photos
Created 12 January 2017
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 7 November 2016
55 Photos
Created 7 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 April 2016
95 Photos
Created 30 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 5 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
charleston to beaufort
15 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
62 Photos
Created 13 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2015
Cape Henlopen to Norfolk
31 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
A day of 25 knots
4 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
16 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
Turning south and rollin down the Hudson, tides, still freshwater. On to Catskill to step the mast.
13 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
31 Photos
Created 30 August 2015

All Aboat us

Who: Paul and Laurie
Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior

Where we have Been....

Twenty Years From Now You Will Be More Disappointed By The Things You Didn't Do Than By The Ones You Did Do.
website counter