Just 2 Outrageous

Its How We Roll

21 March 2023 | Jimento Cays and Ragged Island
05 February 2023 | Salt Pond, Thompson Bay, Long Island
14 January 2023 | Lee Stocking Island..Research Center
24 December 2022 | Great Harbour Cay....Bahamas
20 December 2022 | Lake Sylvia, Florida
10 December 2022 | Peck Lake
22 November 2022 | Fernandina
13 November 2022
09 March 2020
03 February 2020 | George Town Bahamas
23 January 2020 | Lee Stocking Island
09 January 2020 | Staniel Cay
20 December 2019 | Lake Sylvie Ft Lauderdale
05 December 2019 | Vero Beach
16 November 2019
13 November 2019 | Pipeline Creek
13 October 2019 | CANADA

Erie Canal to Oswego

22 May 2017
The Erie Canal opened on May 19th after a mid morning opening ceremony celebrating 200 years! We walked up to lock 2 to watch some of the first boats lock through. The first lock of the day was full to the max with power boats. We decided to just hang for another day in Waterford. Once most of the boats had cleared off the wall we moved 2 Outrageous closer to the action just outside the lock and in front of the visitor center. Lots of people attending the opening festivities stopped by to chat with us asking about the boat, where we had been and where we were headed.
We didn't know it at the time but it turned out our decision to stay that extra day in Waterford was a very good one. The boats that left that day had all kinds of problems with two or three of the locks. There were many delays including a situation where only one of the lock doors would open making for extremely skinny passage into the lock.
We got started shortly after 07:00 on Sat May 20. The past two days had been extremely hot ones at 34 degrees and 30 degrees. This day was a much cooler one. In fact, we had to put our toques back on! We had only one other boat with us in the locks. This made for a much more enjoyable journey. The lock that had the broken door was still broken when we arrived but just as we were about to enter the lock it opened! The lockmaster told us that was the first time it had opened fully! There was quite a bit of debris in the water within the locks and in the canal between the locks. We had to be on a constant lookout.
We stopped at Fonda NY that first night and tied up to an old commercial dock that is no longer in use. Locking the boat is a workout so after 10.5 hours on the move, and 10 locks we were ready for a good meal and a snooze! It wasn't long before we realized we were tied up about ΒΌ mile from a racetrack. You would not believe how loud it was. Oh well, if we weren't so tired we probably would have walked over to check it out. In the end it didn't keep either of us awake so that was good.
The next day we did 8 locks in 12 hours. The day was cloudy, rainy, cool and very windy. This made for some challenging times in the locks. We were on our own for the first 3 locks of the day then were joined by Island Dancer a 63 foot Gulfstar with Bruce, Gina, Mike, Diane and two miniature dachshunds on board. By the time we reached the docks at Rome, NY and there was not enough room for both of us to tie up so Island Dancer went along the dock and we rafted up to them.
Monday May 22 was another cool, cloudy day. The winds were light in the morning but forecasted to increase substantially as the day wore on. We got moving shortly after 06:00. Our goal was to get across Lake Oneida before those winds arrived. We had a good crossing and had our first testing of taking the wake of a large power boat with our mast on deck. No problem!
We almost made through the whole Oswego canal but ran out of time. We had only 3 locks to go. We arrived at Lock 6 expecting to tie to the wall outside the lock for the night but unfortunately the wall was under some re-fit so the wall was full of tugs, barges and construction equipment. Island Dancer was still with us, they decided to tie up to one of the barges and we rafted up to them. This meant that we almost had the whole canal blocked off! I'm sure it would have been quite a sight from the shoreline.
We joined the Island Dancer crew for some sundowners and to discuss some plans for the next day in Oswego. We were planning to have our mast stepped at the Owego marina before crossing Lake Ontario. Island Dancer would do the same before heading west on Lake Ontario to the Welland Canal.
The next morning we fully expected to be awakened at sunrise to a construction worker pounding on our deck telling us to move out.
We were on the move by 07:00 and there was still no sign of anyone on the construction site.
By 08:15 we had made it through the final 3 locks of the Oswego Canal and were tied up to the wall just below the last lock. And 30 seconds later we were visited by 8 Coast Guard officers, 3 homeland security officers and 1 dog. This visit lasted about an hour.
Once the officials were through with us they boarded Island Dancer as well. We spent this time trying to decide what to do. The Oswego Marina couldn't step our mast until the next day. It was flat calm on Lake Ontario with no wind in the forecast.
We decided to motor across the lake with the mast still on deck. We departed Oswego at 11:30 and arrived safely at Loyalist Cove Marina in Bath, ON at 18:35.
2 Outrageous is back home at her slip in Loyalist Cove Marina after an outstanding 2 year adventure covering a total of 8100 nautical miles.
Comments
Vessel Name: 2 Outrageous
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42mkii 1996
Hailing Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior
Crew: Paul and Laurie
About: Just a couple of pirates
Extra: - We live in Arnprior Ontario Canada in the Ottawa Valley, often found hanging out in Bath or Kingston. Possibly coming to a driveway near you.
Home Page: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.findmespot.com%2Fs%2F6585%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR05DoPHdzcpSiQMpCN0QbmoCpI6nDpcntlVI--JFxbLF_xmnT-7U_gJY6c&h=AT1zZX0oH4OOYqrtNx95pxPKRBhVdadigrRlzNntTJa_Xuf2F7iJ2jxU8fdDwoHnkJH9P7MGHggVuaToa4T_dDjsELPU0H6-0RbzS_tz
Social:
2 Outrageous's Photos - Main
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
2 Photos
Created 13 November 2019
47 Photos
Created 10 February 2019
19 Photos
Created 24 September 2018
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2017
52 Photos
Created 12 January 2017
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 7 November 2016
55 Photos
Created 7 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 April 2016
95 Photos
Created 30 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 5 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
charleston to beaufort
15 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
62 Photos
Created 13 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2015
Cape Henlopen to Norfolk
31 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
A day of 25 knots
4 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
16 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
Turning south and rollin down the Hudson, tides, still freshwater. On to Catskill to step the mast.
13 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
31 Photos
Created 30 August 2015

All Aboat us

Who: Paul and Laurie
Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior

Where we have Been....

Twenty Years From Now You Will Be More Disappointed By The Things You Didn't Do Than By The Ones You Did Do.
website counter