Escapade

10 May 2015 | 2014 sailing
27 August 2014 | To be Christian/Hope/Beckwith
17 August 2014 | Georgian bay
25 March 2013 | home
08 June 2012 | Christian island
05 June 2012 | Lost bay Georgian Bay
05 June 2012 | hard
05 June 2012 | hard
16 April 2012 | Hard
08 April 2012 | Hard
09 February 2012 | Home
02 January 2012 | Penatang
24 December 2011 | Home
13 November 2011 | on the hard
18 August 2011 | Dutchmans
11 August 2011 | beausoleil island
08 August 2011 | West side of Beckwith Island
04 August 2011 | Little sandy Bay
15 July 2011 | Marina

Day on the Hard

12 June 2011 | Marina
Bruce / Jacq
No rest of the owners.

Getting to work was our priority. Where do you start. The dirty spot is a good place.

With so many little things to do, we removed all that was left and not needed.

Cushions and bedding were taken out and stuffed into the car.

Our first problem was no power. The main breaker was shorting out. Examination revealed a loose connection. Knee jerk reaction was , get two new thirty amp breakers.

That still didn't work. The odd thing with electrical is that when it no longer works, you have to trace the wires to a problem. And it can be in the most ackward location.

First off we isolated the short to the starboard breaker. It was one of three or four outlets on the starboard sided. No time to did into that.

We had power for the batteries , and port side plug ins. Electrical wire issues was saved for later.

The floor boards were removed. This exposed 18 years of dirt, mold and more dirt. Our goal is to remove both. Mold feeds off dirt.

The best cleaner we found is TSP, Tide and bleach. 1 cup of each into a gallon of water. Spray it on and scrub. Don't stop.

After three applications, I was happy for now . It will take a number of years to get the boat clean. The floor boards were laid down for safety. Unfortunately Jacqueline slipped coming down the stairs and fell 6 feet to the bottom. Ok but is sore. The stair mounts pulled out of the fiber glass at the top and needed to be resecured. Won't do that again. Safety first.

Getting back to life on a boat did start with a bang today. We are both sore from hours of cleaning and falling here and there. We have to take our time and be careful.

Jacqueline managed to clean out the cockpit. The drains in the back were clogged with leaves. The starboard one had a chunk of glass stuck at the bottom. Vaccumed out it was. Looking good.

At the end of the day, we felt good for the work we had done. Back up tuesday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina Morgan 1993 38 ft CC 381
Hailing Port: Midland
Crew: Bruce & Jacqueline
About: Escapade is our third boat in the great adventure. We are looking forward to spending most of the summers on her as we cruise the Great Lakes. Going south, maybe ! Looking forward to travelling back to the north channel and beyond.
Extra: Not afraid to sail off the dock!

Escapade

Who: Bruce & Jacqueline
Port: Midland