4malones

30 August 2010 | Seattle, WA
30 July 2010 | Seattle
28 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
27 June 2010
25 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
24 June 2010 | Off Washington
22 June 2010 | Off Washington
18 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
14 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
10 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
05 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
02 June 2010 | North of the Equator
28 May 2010 | North of the Equator
26 May 2010 | North of the Equator
22 May 2010 | North of the Equator
18 May 2010 | South of the Equator
13 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
11 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean

Passage to New Zealand

20 November 2009 | New Zealand
Scott
Wow, we are in New Zealand!

The sail from Tonga to New Zealand can be daunting and sometimes ferociously rough, and some speak of it as a rite of passage, but our trip was mostly slow and uneventful. Our 11 1/2 day passage included some modestly bumpy weather, days of beautiful sailing slowly upwind, and a 1/2 day of motoring to dodge a bit of forecast heavy weather. The coast of the North Island emerged from the clouds on the 17th of November about 20 miles out, and we made landfall, at 18:00 local time. I really missed being able to rely on Mary and the boys, but had a wonderful time spending two weeks with Dad.

For the boaters who want a few more specifics (all others can happily skip this): The first 48 hours were beam reaching in 15 -20 knots, with a 1-2 meter sea, keeping speeds in the 5.5-7 knot range, becoming lumpy and quite loud as we crashed through the mixed waves. It was difficult to move around the boat, but basically good sailing. We opted to pass Minerva Reef as the breeze was light but holding and the forecast predicted breezes dropping as an unusual series of four high pressure systems passed through. If we had stopped, we would probably have needed to wait for over a week for the wind to pick up much.

As forecast, the breeze did drop and swung to the south south-west and our long slow slog started. For nearly a week, we sailed upwind in unstable 5 - 8 knots of wind heading roughly west and counting on the wind eventually shifting to the west. We had days of wonderful flat water and gentle sailing mixed with short squally periods followed by intermittent calm, but making little progress toward the destination in Opua. We were only logging 50 -80 miles of actual distance covered toward land and our low point was one 36 mile day.

The forecast low pressure system finally came north and 15-20 knots filled in from the WSW. We turned South and boomed along at 6 -7 knots in waves building to 2- 3 meters. We spooled off 160 miles one day and another 80 or so miles that night until the wind died completely then returned to light from the S.

Bowing to the desire to make landfall the next day, and the forecast of 35 knots from the SE the next evening, we motorsailed through the night and into the mid morning. The wind filled from the NW and we sailed downwind into the Bay of Islands in the late afternoon sun, dropping sails just off the customs dock.

Given that it was a relatively calm trip, I had tools out a shocking number of times. The binoculars succumbed to too many days in the sun and the hinge broke into a nice pair of monoculars. (Fix: Two Part Epoxy). We hit a wave hard and Finn's book shelf tore off the wall and dumped everything into the forepeak. (Fix: Too big a mess - deal with it in port). Spectra control line on the Wind Vane broke in the middle of the night. (Fix: Splice in a new one.) Salt water pump failed and sucked air so that none of the sink pumps worked. (Fix: Spare pump cannibalized for parts.) Bilge pump running constantly and not pumping. (Fix: Disassemble everything, finally diagnose blockage in the discharge hose, tack to get the through-hull over water line and clear hose.) Shackle came off the top of the jib furler, dropping the jib in the middle of the night. (Fix: New shackle and rehoisted jib on spare halyard, much fun in the dark on the foredeck.) During one of the about 25 times we reefed and unreefed the main, a 1.5 inch tear appeared above the second reef point. (Fix: I still have no idea what it caught on, but sail repair tape is holding for now.) Sailing upwind, the mast pumps pounding into the waves. (Fix: Stopped to tweak standing rigging several times.)

All in all, it was a great passage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whisper
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn

Who: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn
Port: Seattle