4malones

30 August 2010 | Seattle, WA
30 July 2010 | Seattle
28 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
27 June 2010
25 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
24 June 2010 | Off Washington
22 June 2010 | Off Washington
18 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
14 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
10 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
05 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
02 June 2010 | North of the Equator
28 May 2010 | North of the Equator
26 May 2010 | North of the Equator
22 May 2010 | North of the Equator
18 May 2010 | South of the Equator
13 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
11 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean

Lobster for Breakfast

04 November 2008 | Isla Guadalupe
Scott
What a nice morning! After howling all night from every direction (the wind drops down the cliffs around our anchorage in huge random gusts) it is now sunny, warm and windless. The water is an amazing blue and so clear that we can easily see the bottom, 50' below us. There are schools of fish hanging out under the boat and we have been amusing ourselves by throwing lobster scraps overboard and watching dozens of voracious foot long blue and yellow fish swarm to the surface. Right now there is a seal swimming around and under the boat. It is like watching an underwater ballet as it chases the fish.

We have not seen any other boats anchored or sailing for several days and were excited to see two young local fishermen in a panga (about a 20' open boat with an outboard) when they motored around the headland and came along side. No Spanish on our side and no English on their side, uh oh. Mary and I are feeling very much like dumb Americans and really need to get in gear and learn more than just good morning, where is the bathroom and thank you. With lots of good natured smiling and hand waving they wanted to trade fresh lobsters for beer. A deal. Breakfast this morning was fresh lobster with leftover fried potatoes and onions. Yumm, we have lunch and dinner planned now too.

A fisherman gave us live crabs at Santa Cruz Is., and Timothy learned that no matter how nice the critters look, playing with live spiny things can be painful. That time, one of the big crabs got him on a finger and left a nasty gash before we could pry it loose. This time the boys got a kick out of watching the lobster scoot around the cockpit floor from a respectful distance. That did not stop Timothy from picking a favorite and lobbying for early release for good behavior. My offer to put him into the water next was not well received when he figured out which water I was talking about.

Mary and the kids are working on school and when this wraps up, we are going to take the big boat and see if we can lure any sharks to the surface with fish scraps.

I hope all is well at home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whisper
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn

Who: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn
Port: Seattle