4malones

30 August 2010 | Seattle, WA
30 July 2010 | Seattle
28 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
27 June 2010
25 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
24 June 2010 | Off Washington
22 June 2010 | Off Washington
18 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
14 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
10 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
05 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
02 June 2010 | North of the Equator
28 May 2010 | North of the Equator
26 May 2010 | North of the Equator
22 May 2010 | North of the Equator
18 May 2010 | South of the Equator
13 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
11 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean

Hiva Oa

10 April 2009 | Marquesas
Scott
Whaaa Hoooo! Safe and Sound in French Polynesia, anchored and off watch for the first time in nearly a month. We spent our 23rd and last night bobbing around, within site of land, waiting for the sun to come up so that could enter the harbor. At dawn we sailed in, threading between three spectacular islands, 1000 foot cliffs covered in tropical vegetation dropping straight into foaming surf, watching the islands appear out of the dark into the morning light. We dropped anchor at 8:30 just east of Atuona, Hiva Oa.

The anchorage is small and several of the boats we know from Mexico are here. It was wonderful to have friends greet us as we anchored and call to welcome us in. They also let us know that the Gendarme was closing at 11:00 for the Easter weekend, town was a good hour walk away, and we would need to boogie or we might be faced with being quarantined on the boat until Monday. This would be such a cruel joke that no one could even contemplate it (can you say mutiny?), and you have never seen us put the boat away and launch the dingy so fast.

It is hot and tropical here and I will say more about the island at another time. Believe me that we were relieved to feel terra firma beneath our feet once again, and there is an attraction and beauty and that would not exist if we had arrived any other way.

The passage is too recent to fully absorb it, but it was a wonderful experience. Mary found it easier than expected in many ways. We had some wonderful time together as a family, and came to depend and trust in every one of us. There was also more alone time than we have ever had on the trip. Night watches are a time for daydreaming, contemplation, watching the stars, and all the other sundries that get lost in the daily grind and non stop interaction that we have had together. Time flew by, the days really blur together, and Mexico does not seem that long ago.

We are thrilled to be starting the next adventure and will keep you posted.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whisper
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn

Who: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn
Port: Seattle