4malones

30 August 2010 | Seattle, WA
30 July 2010 | Seattle
28 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
27 June 2010
25 June 2010 | Friday Harbor, WA
24 June 2010 | Off Washington
22 June 2010 | Off Washington
18 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
14 June 2010 | Northern Pacific
10 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
05 June 2010 | North of Hawaii
02 June 2010 | North of the Equator
28 May 2010 | North of the Equator
26 May 2010 | North of the Equator
22 May 2010 | North of the Equator
18 May 2010 | South of the Equator
13 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
11 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean
10 May 2010 | Southern Pacific Ocean

All is well

15 May 2009 | Apataki - Tuamotus
Scott
Life is good here in the Tuomotos. We are currently anchored at Apataki, arriving here Thursday morning after a very rough passage from Raroia. We were the only boat anchored here yesterday, but another boat arrived this evening.

The fish drought seems to be letting up; on the passage here we caught our first Wahoo. Just before dark, we were sitting down in the cockpit to a tasty bowl of dried beans with canned vegetables and Timothy started hollering "fish". We pulled in an about 4' long Wahoo. After so many weeks without fish we scrapped the rule of only keeping fish small enough to eat and barbequed about 5 pounds of wahoo fillets throwing back the rest. The next evening we put out the line, sailed through a couple of flocks of birds diving on the bait fish, and within 10 minutes hooked a nice yellowtail tuna. It was another gluttony of fish capped by lunch yesterday of some of the best open faced tuna salad sandwiches you can imagine.

It is wild and gorgeous, the snorkeling is some of the best we have seen so far, the temperatures are down and it is downright pleasant here. We explored our new island today. There was once a village here, but the area is so overgrown with jungly growth the only trace would could find is an old concrete water cistern. While looking for the remains of the village we did manage to run into some sort of crazed biting insects the length of a hornet that flew or jumped faster than you could see. Within 30 seconds Finn had been bitten on the ear and was screaming in pain and I had been bitten on the head, throat and back. Finns ear swelled up like an apple and we rushed back to the boat for antihistamines to stop the swelling in my throat. It was definitely one of the most painful bug experiences I have ever had, and now no one wants to go ashore for the planned fire on the beach.

We are having battery charging issues and power is in pretty short supply, so tonight is the first night in a while that we have used the computer. Hopefully we will catch up, but it may be a larger battery problem.

All is well.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whisper
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn

Who: Scott, Mary, Timothy and Finn
Port: Seattle