NautiBet & Captain Bob's East Coast Tour

Our sailing sabbatical traveling the ICW to the Keys began October 28th 2013 out of Worton, MD.

26 February 2014 | Charlotte Bay Harbor
22 February 2014 | Pink Shell Resort & Marina
20 February 2014 | Big Carlos Pass
16 February 2014 | Old Seaport Marina
12 February 2014 | Marco Island
12 February 2014
06 February 2014
26 January 2014 | Key West
13 January 2014 | Conch Harbor Marina
12 January 2014 | Little Torch Key Anchorage
09 January 2014 | Long Key
06 January 2014 | Pilot House Marina, Largo Lake
29 December 2013 | South of Card Sound, FL
27 December 2013 | The Bight at Biscayne Bay
22 December 2013 | Bahia Mar Yachting Center
17 December 2013 | Manatee Pocket to Lake Boca Raton
16 December 2013 | Harbortown Marina
15 December 2013 | Vero Beach City Marina
14 December 2013 | Melbourne Harbor Marina

Day 61 - Angelfish Creek and the Mangroves - MM 1120

29 December 2013 | South of Card Sound, FL
Easterly 20-25 knot winds; 80 degrees
12/28/13 - After leaving Biscayne Sound at 9:15am we entered the Atlantic Ocean in heavy winds (gusting to 30 knots) and a heavy chop. Fifteen minutes into the ride we considered turning back to get out of the crazy weather. We decided to set sails to see if the boat would smooth out. Once the boat settled into a groove on a beam reach we managed to adjust to the swells and continued on with the sail. The current was pushing hard and we found out the hard way that we didn't go out far enough before heading south. All of a sudden we felt the boat lurch forward and thump! We managed to find a shallow spot in the Ocean. Just before we bumped Bob noticed the depth meter was reading 1.1 feet below the keel. As he turned to head out further we started our bump and grind with the shoal. Thankfully the waves continued to crash around us and each time a swell hit Bob motored forward (and said a few choice words) and before long we were on our way again. I told Bob later that I would never live it down with my brothers if we ran aground in the ocean!

The rest of our ride was uneventful and we found the entrance to Angelfish Creek with no problem. The creek on the other hand was not what we were expecting with the narrow channel width to navigate and mangroves on either side. Not sure why the reference guides recommend it for anchoring since the width will accomodate two boat tops. But we were here and it was nearly 2pm so we decided to set the anchor and hope for the best. The channel turned out to be rather busy this afternoon. Several boats passed us, along with two wave runners and a boat pulling water skiers. We began to feel more at ease in this secluded place. But not for long.......

Around 9pm we noticed the boat turning with the change in current and at one point it swung near the mangroves, a little too close for comfort but we had plenty of water depth. We decided to sit topside for a while to be sure things were ok. Bob noticed the anchor chain was running beneath the boat and we realized it was caught around the keel. The boat wasn't going anywhere so we decided to go below and get some rest. That was easier said than done. The noise of the chain rubbing along the keel made it difficult to get any sleep. We just hoped the chain was rubbing off any barnacles that might have accumulated on the bottom. We were up again at 1:30am when the anchor chain got free and the boat swung yet again and this time the stern was butted up against the mangroves. Talk about reaching out and touching! That might be ok for AT&T but Bob worried about what could scamper out of the mangroves onto our boat (think snakes) so we decided to reset the anchor. Bob went to the bow with the flashlight and I handled the wheel. It was so dark and eerily quiet (well, except for the putt putt of the engine) and I kept thinking something was going to jump out of the mangroves onto the back of the boat and snatch me away. All the while afraid that Bob was so busy with the anchor he wouldn't notice that I was gone from the cockpit. It was very dark out and my imagination just kept running.

We reset the anchor, it held and I went below to catch some zzz's. Bob stayed topside till he was satisfied the boat was holding. It held the rest of the night and we both woke up at 7am. Time to raise the anchor again and head to Key Largo where we'll have a slip for a full week! Looking forward to some sound sleep.
Comments
Vessel Name: 4mySanity
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Worton, MD
Crew: Captain Bob & Betty Anne Sims
About: Chesapeake Bay sailors for past 25 years with 4 charters to the BVI's and 1 charter to the Leeward Islands.
Extra: The Sims' six month sailing sabbatical traveling the ICW to the Keys began October 28th 2013 and will continue through the end of April 2014. Be happy, be well and sail on! 😏
Social:

4mySanity East Coast Tour

Who: Captain Bob & Betty Anne Sims
Port: Worton, MD