NautiBet & Captain Bob's East Coast Tour

Our sailing sabbatical traveling the ICW to the Keys began October 28th 2013 out of Worton, MD.

26 February 2014 | Charlotte Bay Harbor
22 February 2014 | Pink Shell Resort & Marina
20 February 2014 | Big Carlos Pass
16 February 2014 | Old Seaport Marina
12 February 2014 | Marco Island
12 February 2014
06 February 2014
26 January 2014 | Key West
13 January 2014 | Conch Harbor Marina
12 January 2014 | Little Torch Key Anchorage
09 January 2014 | Long Key
06 January 2014 | Pilot House Marina, Largo Lake
29 December 2013 | South of Card Sound, FL
27 December 2013 | The Bight at Biscayne Bay
22 December 2013 | Bahia Mar Yachting Center
17 December 2013 | Manatee Pocket to Lake Boca Raton
16 December 2013 | Harbortown Marina
15 December 2013 | Vero Beach City Marina
14 December 2013 | Melbourne Harbor Marina

Day 116 - Estero Island-Fort Myers Beach

22 February 2014 | Pink Shell Resort & Marina
Low 80's, mild breezes
Only about 6 nautical miles today to get from Estero Bay up to the northern end of the island called Fort Myers Beach. The marina is located on the backside of the Gulf sandwiched between the Resort which is on the Gulf itself and the ICWF. We took our good old time getting here (two hours) because we tried to get some sailtime in. Unfortunately the winds were not cooperating, but hey, that never stopped Capt. Bob before. When we started to actually lose ground Bob agreed to put on the engine and proceed with a slow forward motion.

The weather gods brought us another sunlit, cloudless day and we were grateful. When we tied up in our slip, we decided to check out the pools (there are three - two for the kiddies and one for the big kids) and the beach. This place is part of a Marriott property and caters to the little ones. So anyone reading this who have younsters and teens, you will love this place! Plenty of activities including parasailing, waverunners, volleyball, and nature trails. Times Square is located less than one mile from the resort or you can take a trolley into town for fifty cents per person. We decided to grab a bite to eat in town and walked to the Gulfshore Grill located on the waterfront. By the time we got to the restaurant the sun had set and the temperature was still a balmy 80 degrees. We decided to eat inside to take advantage of the air conditioning. Bob enjoyed Cajun grouper and I ordered the seafood au gratin that was overloaded with scallops and shrimp. I took home half of the entree but Bob finished his with no problem.

This was a Saturday night and the town was hopping. After spending time in Naples and the cultured high end world of these Florida residents, we had to shift gears as we walked through Ft. Myers Beach Times Square. It reminded us alot of the crazy Wildwood boardwalk on a summer weekend. Lots of neon lights, loud, lots of people drifting about, and plenty of places to stop for a quick bite to eat. The parents were out with their kids and toddlers late into the evening. We walked back to the marina and the sounds of Times Square grew more faint as we approached the docks. Even our neighbors were tucked away inside their boats.
The next morning we decided to check out the northern point of the island where there are a few nature trails. As we walked one of the trails, we spotted a land turtle - looked like a box turtle to us - and decided to follow it for awhile. 'Tess' the turtle made it to the Gulf with no problem and just as the water ebbed, Tess dipped her body onto the wet sand for about two seconds then lifted herself back on all legs and began her trek down the beach. She was quite a site and made for many a photo op before heading back up the beach to the point.
After all that excitement, Bob and I grabbed a couple of beach chairs and hung out. The water temp was in the 70's so it was like dipping your toes into bathwater..... just wonderful.
After such a tough day in the sun we headed to Smokin' Oyster Brewery in town. What a difference one night makes. Unlike last night, tonight was much more low key with fewer people and a lot less noise.
We had a great meal enjoying raw oysters and seafood entrees. Afterwards we headed across the street to Cupcakes in Paradise for dessert. Yummy. Good thing we had a mile walk back to the boat.

Day 3 followed day 1 and 2 with more sun, calm breezes, poolside drinks, and dinner in town. This time we caught a light bite at Yucatan Beach Stand Bar and it was delicious. We decided to stroll up the pier nearby the restaurant before heading back to the marina. On the way back we couldn't help but check out the chocolate covered pretzels at Kilwin's.

The next morning we checked out and got underway by 9:35am on our way to Charlotte Bay Harbor. We plan to spend four days on the anchor before heading into our new homeport in Englewood called Cape Haze. Hard to believe our wonderful journey is coming to a close. But it's not over yet!

Comments
Vessel Name: 4mySanity
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Worton, MD
Crew: Captain Bob & Betty Anne Sims
About: Chesapeake Bay sailors for past 25 years with 4 charters to the BVI's and 1 charter to the Leeward Islands.
Extra: The Sims' six month sailing sabbatical traveling the ICW to the Keys began October 28th 2013 and will continue through the end of April 2014. Be happy, be well and sail on! 😏
Social:

4mySanity East Coast Tour

Who: Captain Bob & Betty Anne Sims
Port: Worton, MD