Four Roaming Free

We are a family with two young boys (4&2) and have decided to take the plunge (OK dip our toes in really) to the cruising life.

24 February 2014 | Ecula
16 January 2014 | Perth
10 January 2014 | Perth
16 December 2013 | Perth

Big Kid Toys

16 January 2014 | Perth
James
Yesterday, while the kids had a day at kindy and daycare we went out shopping for big kid toys. And boy did we go shop. We have basically swapped a significant amount of house processions (garage sale proceeds) and a bit more, for toys. But we did come out with lots of cool stuff that will get plenty of use. We are very lucky to have a friend who assisted us with both advice and purchace.
So the list of new toys is:
- Starboard inflatable Standup Paddle Board (SUP) and Paddle
- Airush Kite board and kite (including board bag, bar and lines)
- New Flying Objects wetsuits for the both of us
- Harness,
- And lastly, through his boss, a second hand 12v hookah unit
Upon leaving the shop I thought I should call Nathan and Shannon Ducker who are both very experienced Kite Surfers to let them know of our purchases, and to hit them up for some lessons. Well Nathan must have been a bit bored at home during his holidays as it took about 2 seconds for him to say, lets go now!
I have always thought Kitesurfing is a sport that can be pretty dangerous. When windsurfing if it all goes pear shaped it is pretty easy to just ditch the gear away from you. With Kitesurfing it is not that simple and the power the kites have can easily drag you if you get out of control.
Well I don't want to sound cocky but I think I did pretty well for a first go. I managed to do some body draging, not upwind yet, but did get the feel for it. I did feel a bit like a big lure though ;-).
So tomorrow the plan is to take the kids out for a SUP and on the river for a go. Looks like it is going to be light winds in the morning so should be good.
As a final footnote we just sold one of our cars. I hope we sold the right one. Economically the Pajero was the right one to sell. I just hope the commodore is OK for the long trip towing the trailer all the way to Brisbane.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mahiti
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Maramu 46
Hailing Port: Brisbane (Boat) Perth (Us)
Crew: Leah, James, Ewyn & Hamish
About: We are a family with 2 very active young boys (4&2). We are currently travelling across Australia and will be moving aboard in March 14

Who: Leah, James, Ewyn & Hamish
Port: Brisbane (Boat) Perth (Us)