A' Bientot Adventures

The Pirates' Silver Passage

28 April 2011 | Fort Lauderdale
25 April 2011 | Matt Lowe Cay
23 April 2011 | The Abacos
22 April 2011 | Green Turtle Cay
20 April 2011 | Abacos
18 April 2011 | Abacos
18 April 2011 | Egg Island
14 April 2011 | Sampson Cay
09 April 2011 | Staniel Cay
08 April 2011 | O'Brien Cay
04 April 2011 | Hawksbill to O'Brien Cay
01 April 2011 | Just off of Nassau
26 March 2011 | Hawk's Nest
25 March 2011 | Cat Island
23 March 2011 | Cat Island
19 March 2011 | Galliott Bay
15 March 2011 | Warderick Wells
14 March 2011 | Havana
13 March 2011 | Havana
09 March 2011

Cat Ballou

23 March 2011 | Cat Island
linda and the captain
We said good bye to Tom and Patty as they returned to March in Northern Michigan on a flight out of Georgetown. We then departed the Marina at Emerald Bay at 8:00 am sharp. Our destination was about 40 miles to the Northeast: Cat Island. This sprit of land is one of three Bahamian Barrier Islands with the Sound on one side and the Atlantic on the other. Eleuthera, Long Island and Cat are all similar land formations in topography with coral and limestone cliffs on the Atlantic side and great stretches of white, sandy beaches on the Sound side. There are few secure anchorages in Northeast and Westerly winds, but we were hopeful that the forecasts are wrong and that the winds hold to Southeast at 10 to 15 knots. We had a fabulous run with both sails up—we were able to remove the reefs set based on the high 30 knot winds from the day before. Our speed ranged from 6 to 7.5 knots without the assist of our motors, so the sail was calm and peaceful. We didn’t even need to run the watermaker and generator since our tanks were only slightly down. (What a blessing the watermaker is--converting saltwater from the ocean to 20 gallons of fresh, pure potable water an hour. We can take showers aboard and wash clothes without a worry!) While under sail, we caught a small mahi mahi, but the highlight was the spotting of two whales off our starboard bow. They did not stay with us long as the dolphins often do, but just to see the enormity of these animals was amazing. We slipped into the Hawk’s Nest Marina in time for dinner and tomorrow we will explore the island by car.
Comments
Vessel Name: A' Bientot
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, NH
Crew: Gary and Linda Pauly, Patty and Tom Waier
About: Too many two week charters. We wanted to spend more than a night or two in really great Caribbean anchorages. Whiskey for the guys and wine for the girls oiled the decision to buy a boat and do it before our bones got too old to pass muster.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/abientot

Gang of Four

Who: Gary and Linda Pauly, Patty and Tom Waier
Port: Portsmouth, NH