Gone Sailing

S/V Abigail Grace

Gone Sailing / Abigail Grace

Checking Tides
After checking the tides/water levels (they say there are no tides ?), we were ready to untie our lines and head toward our planned destination of Southport. We motored down the ICW with only a bump around green marker no. 35 (we didn't get stuck, it was like we hit one of those "speed bumps"). There was a section of the ICW, between two inlets (sorry can't remember their names), where there were several pods of dolphins swimming and playing - there is something magical about dolphins. They would shoot across in front of our bow and then dive under - it was like they were playing with us. Before we knew it we were motorling through "Snow Cut" with its crazy currents to the "Cape Fear River". The Cape Fear River was calm and for the most part easy to navigate. We saw only a few recreational boats and a ferry. The captain of the ferry hailed us on the radio and went around us on the outside of the channel - he was really nice. Just as the ferry was passing to starboard it started to rain and fog rolled-in. We put on our steaming and running lights to be seen better - (kinda like head lights). Shortly after the rain started it stopped and the fog lifted. Before we knew it the Cape Fear River was behind us and we were motoring down the ICW to our destination for the night, the South Harbor Village Marina. After we were tied off we called Ken and Kaysone (Kaysone flew in yesterday and is now traveling with Ken) of sv Surrender. Ken went off shore from Wrightsville early this morning. We told Ken we would check in with him and were surprised when he was off the Cape Fear River. Ken was hoping to make it much further south but reported confused seas, rain, and wind. Ken and Kaysone came into the marina close to eight o'clock and were exhausted. We grab their lines and offered them a warm meal aboard Abigail Grace. We were sorry for their troubled day but were glad they were ok and that we could be their for them.

Comments