Gone Sailing

S/V Abigail Grace

Gone Sailing / Abigail Grace - Peck Lake, Fl

Miguel and Brad
Greg was up early watching as Tom raised anchor and disappeared down the ICW. A little later we too were weighing anchor, but we were headed north, to the Okeechobee. Our day was great. Greg had planned and timed all 10 bridges. We had no delays this time - it was perfect (the bridge part). We saw gorgeous homes and landscapes (didn't see the 1st time it was dark). Jupiter has beautiful turquoise water and lots of beaches along the ICW. Hobe Sound was active with boats, water skiers, swimmers, and people just having fun. Just as we entered Peck Lake we were hailed over the VHF. Kennebeck! Yes, sv Kennebeck was on the north side of Peck Lake and headed toward us. The last time we had seen John and Matt was in St. Augustine. They were now headed to Hobe Sound and then to Lake Worth (where we had just been) to wait for a weather window to cross to the Bahamas. We had connected sv Kennebeck with sv Grace (David and Nancy) who were in Lake Worth waiting to cross too. As we looked for a spot to drop anchor on Peck Lake we went aground (oops - another shoal). It was the beginning of series of events. Miguel (don't know the name of his boat) from Argentina got in his dinghy and came over with his anchor to help us. He was so kind. But, we couldn't understand a word he was saying. While Miguel was trying to help us kedge-off the shoal, Brad on sv "At Last" was yelling and waving his arms. But, we could't hear a word his was saying. Miguel and Greg were successful in spinning the boat - enough to now hear Brad "just put it in reverse and gun it" "you have a flood tide". The only problem with this was "At Last" was behind us. Brad yelled "don't worry you won't hit me". So, Greg gunned it and we were off, missing sv "At Last". We anchored to starboard of "At Last" in deeper water. We put together a little basket of fruit and other goodies for Miguel and his wife and thanked them for their help. Brad (and his girlfriend Joan) invited us over for dinner and drinks - we accepted.



Comments