Flight of Aghavni

a Topjian family traveling journey

NYC!

Arrived in NYC! Came in through Long Island Sound and greeted by Execution Rocks. Apparently the place where pirates were hung to detract looters of the price of theft!

Passed LaGuardia Airport (amazing how many planes land and take off every minute), Rikers Island, Kings Point, SUNY Maritime, Roosevelt Island, Hells Gate, Governor Island, About 8 bridges (including Brooklyn, GW, Triborough, etc), UN Headquarters, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, rounded Manhattan and now at anchor near 79th Street!

Commercial traffic was light until about 5pm when work got out! Then it was insane! Few tugs hailed me to let me know what the passing plan was and all went textbook.

We were actually planning to anchor near the Liberty and Ellis Islands but there was a tremendous amount of boat/ferry traffic, lots of tide, and it was very rolly and uncomfortable. So, we made our way up here and found a great spot. I've been using the Active Captain and Garmin BlueChart systems which have been very helpful and spot on so far.

Timed the tides perfect again today thanks to Eldridge Guide and rode a nice current all day.

Called some marinas but prices averaged $6+ a foot! That's about $300 for us plus electric hookup and transport fees puts us way high. So we decided to pass on them and found a great place for free. We can actually tie up our dinghy for $26 a day at this marina so we plan to do that tomorrow. Hey, it's like parking a car!

It was so fun to actually sail into the city! We had a blast and can't believe we are here. A bit of a culture shock coming from the peaceful anchorages of New England.

Plan to launch dinghy in the morning and explore MamaBears old stomping grounds.

NYC or bust! We made it. Check it off the list! As I usually say, it's a nice place to visit and then a nice place to leave.


Comments