Flight of Aghavni

a Topjian family traveling journey

Back to Roost

Made a 210 mile overnight trip from Strait of Canso to Rogues Roost--a favorite secluded chain of islands found during our first Nova Scotia leg north. It was a very windy night so we set the jib only and poled it out going dead downwind. We also had a favorable current (minor counter current to the northern Gulf Stream) so we made excellent time. Kids fell asleep listening to Anne of Avonlea book on tape. If you're wondering why we stayed so short in Magdalene Islands and PEI, it is because we were monitoring a Low Pressure System a few hundred miles offshore moving through this week-which if true to weather predictions, would produce a favorable Northeastern wind in this region. Low Pressure systems turn counter clockwise, so it flows NE in the upper quadrant of the system. In this part of North America, especially during summer, it is routinely blowing stoutly from the southwest, so it's easy to come up the coast, but much more difficult going back. This is also what causes the fog--the warmer gulf waters and temperatures clash with the Labrador Currents in the Cabot Straight and beyond causing regular havoc in the atmosphere. So you can set your watch if there is wind from the south, there will be reduced visibility. The great news, however, is that thanks to this gift from Mother Nature, we were able to time our return accordingly and have made it back south to central Nova Scotia. We hadn't seen hardly any sailboats on passages but last night there were about 7 of us with the seemingly same idea and it was fun to "keep company" with them all working down the coast. Offshore sailing experiences are greatly influenced by weather and it feels good that we got this one dead right. 🙌⭐️🎉! As we were a bit ahead of schedule and the wind was dying (Low front passed and sucked the pressure out of the atmosphere--soon preparing to return to its normal southern route) we pulled in to a lovely anchorage at Rogues Roost. I had spotted this particular anchorage at our last visit when we were exploring on the dinghy. We had some fun exploring the beach and meeting some locals. We then had an AMAZING dinner courtesy chef mamabear! Salmon with potatoes and broccoli finished with homemade Rhubarb/Wild Blueberry turnovers! The Rhubarb was lovingmy provided by Jane from Burgeo (Newfoundland) and blueberries from a local market. Just what the doctor ordered after a long night on watch. And now, time for some sleep and relaxing as we prep for continuing the southern route tomorrow morning...


Comments