Flight of Aghavni

a Topjian family traveling journey

Back to sea, or not?

Finishing a wonderful time in Cuba, we set off for our next port. This was one of the most difficult legs of the trip for a number of reasons. Primarily, because it is about a 140 mile trip directly against the trade winds and prevailing currents until we reach the Windward Passage. I had been concerned about this part of the trip since we planned it a few years ago.

So, we cleared customs and set off from Cuba heading towards Haiti! Unfortunately, the seas and wind proved too challenging despite my best abilities to take advantage of a tiny weather window. Instead of blowing 15 knots against us, it was 25-30 knots dead on the nose.

Anyhow, after a rough 12 hour battle sailing through heavy seas, we put Plan B into action and bailed out at the next available harbor, Bahia de Nipe. Sailing all day we had only covered about 20 miles.

We had to deal with a few issues in the decision making:

1. We did not see another "reasonable" weather window for about a week
2. We did not have a good opportunity to provision in Cuba due to lack of available goods. Very difficult. (especially with Haiti planned as our next port of call)
3. We had already cleared customs out of Cuba (not a minor task). So, if we stopped, we would not be able to leave the boat (as explicitly explained by the GuardaFrontera)

4. We were exhausted from many jam-packed days of land touring through Cuba (simply feeing a bit run down and the kids were starting a cough).

But, we had to stop and stop we did!

We used a few days to drink some healthy bone broths and coconut water that mamabear had smartly packed when we left home. I also used a lifeline to phone a friend (thanks, Miguel!) who interrupted his family vacation to give me a second opinion on the weather and scenarios for future travel options. And finally, I called WRI, a weather routing company who had given me a free weather analysis at the Annapolis Boat show last year.

So, we stayed safely at anchor in the isolated harbor while taking some time to sleep and recover from the previous days. Good time to catch up on boat school and chores around the boat.

5 days later, we tried again and decided per guidance from both Miguel and WRI to motor as fast as possible against the adverse conditions until we reached the southern turning point around Cuba.

So, we did just that and made it after a "sporty" day of motoring.

Not a positive post, but a genuine one highlighting some of the difficulties and decisions needing to be made as a family at sea.

I was thanking God the entire way as each mile passed under our keel.


Comments