Flight of Aghavni

a Topjian family traveling journey

Decisions Decisions Decisions

As our family/friends in the Northern Hemisphere enjoy the first tastes of summer, that unfortunately means for us it's starting to get cold!

In thinking through our plans for the winter season in NZ (now our 2nd!), we have been trying to come up with options to make the best of our time on the boat. We were frustrated at what seems over and over again to be our only few choices, none of which seem right:

1. Hunker down again in a local marina, run the heaters and dehumidifiers non-stop, and dig in to local community the best we can.
2. Leave NZ, Sail to Fiji and enjoy again the amazing people and places. But, what of the recent lockdown and covid breakout, as well as doubts about re-entry to NZ or Australia come cyclone season in 6 months?
3. Sail directly to Australia. Basically quarantine for 30 days (10 days to get there, then 2 weeks mandatory in hotel while boat is in marina). We get to explore a new country and perhaps a step closer to flights to visit home? But it is a ton of money to clear customs and pay for the process.
4. Store or sell the boat and fly home. Yes, an option that must always be considered. Many of our cruising friends have gone this route, who have simply had enough of the uncertainty, or done their best to delay what may be inevitable--a change in sailing lifestyle. This of course is the nuclear option for us, as the chances of continuing a trip in the future would be far too difficult. In my opinion, the only thing worse than leaving home once is doing it again (ripping off the band-aid).

Each one comes with pros/cons and it's hard to see clearly how the choices will play out amid the unpredictability of the pandemic environment. And on top of this, these decisions require the approval and mercy of multiple governments, within a consistently changing world landscape.

When faced with these types of life decisions, we do our best to pray and trust in the Lord for wisdom and guidance. This goes hand-in-hand with action, which for us includes making lists, Team Topjian discussions, seeking counsel with family/friends (and strangers too!) and doing our best to stay positive and grateful.

When we left a month ago for the south island TONZ, it was our prayer that the trip would help us determine the next steps for our family. We poured over these options daily and thought deeply about all of them. It was frustrating and stressful at times, especially upon hearing that our NZ visas would not be automatically extended!

However, I am grateful to share that we have a new option, one that we would never have seen and one that we believe is an answer to prayer.

On the return trip aboard the Interislander Ferry, I was grabbing some coffees and a gentlemen in line turned around and asked if we were the American family. Long story short, he and his wife were also part of the bike tour and own a dairy farm in the middle of the south island. They extended an invitation for us to come stay on their farm this winter, learn about the industry, and volunteer around the property. We sat down with them and K&I looked at each other in disbelief and quickly accepted their invitation!

More to come......




Comments