Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

Tomorrow we sail....

14 September 2010 | Yacht Marine, Marmaris
Bonnie
"Mate," I said..... as we turned in, "I need a new chapter for my book. Tomorrow we sail no matter what happens" (Rockwell Kent)

The temperature today is roughly 30 degrees C; with just a bit of breeze. In the bright sunlight, the colours of Marmaris bay are breathtaking- aquamarine water, the red clay and white rock of the mountains contrasting with the deep green of pine trees. It is easy to see why the ownership of this country has been coveted by so many nations through the centuries.

We are still at the dock, but the caulking repair has been completed and the carpenter has just finished installing the emergency steering. As long as the weather cooperates, we will sail tomorrow. Skopea Limani in Fethiye bay, reportedly one of the most beautiful places in Turkey, is just a short day-sail away.

Yesterday morning, things weren't looking so good. With the four-day holiday finally over, Demir's foreman was suggesting that the completion of the deck repair be delayed until we returned to Yacht Marine in October. "The longer it cures, the better" he said (something that had not been mentioned the previous week). This would have meant looking at those ugly streaks for the remainder of our vacation. The decks had already dried for four days longer than the recommended 48 hours and I was not in the mood to be accommodating. "I am very much not happy," I say, studiously ignoring Rick's pained expression. He needn't have worried; every male on the planet, regardless of nationality or culture, feels sympathetic to the plight of a man with an upset wife. When I return from a long slow run, up the steep hill on "Heaven Island", a workman is busily sanding the patches on the foredeck By 2 p.m. the decks are again looking very nice, although somewhat multi-coloured due to the spot-sanding. (This, I am assured, will "weather out", although probably not before the end of our vacation.) The problems and delays have been frustrating but, to their credit, Demir is making every effort to resolve them. When we come back in October, a representative from Saba (the company that manufactures the caulking) will come to inspect the decks with us to ensure that there are no further problems.

Rick spent a good part of the weekend putting together the wind generator and then installing it piece by piece on the pole. It had gone on the fritz last year. He had disassembled it last October and carried it with him on two transatlantic flights as well as to and from Florida (attracting a great deal of attention from baggage screeners along the way). By noon on Sunday, it was purring away on the back rail, and Rick was purring with satisfaction to see the voltage rising on the energy monitor. We decided to take the bus to Marmaris for a celebratory lunch.

Marmaris is an interesting spot. In winter, the population is roughly 35,000; in summer it swells to over 200,000. Although located in a spectacular setting, the adjective that probably best describes much of the town is "tasteless". Ugly concrete apartment buildings stretch for miles along the shore. In the bazaar, throngs of overweight tourists are dressed for the beach..barechested potbellied males, tattooed women in skimpy bikini tops; many seem to have outgrown even their flip-flops, heels hanging over the backs as they shuffle past.



The touts compete for their business "Guten Tag, hello, where you from?..hello beautiful, (to an overweight but indeed beautiful teenager) tonight we take a drrrink togetherrr??" Sunday is election day, a national constitutional referendum is being held (57% vote yes) but even though the beer cooler at the grocery store has a sign saying that sale of alcohol is not permitted on election day, the bars are all open and doing a brisk business.

Even in Marmaris, it is still possible to escape to some pleasant corners. After a delicious lunch of cold mezzas at Restaurant Liman, we climb through the streets of the charming old quarter to the castle at the summit.



Here, we see no sign of the tourist throngs. The streets are quiet and the castle has only a few other visitors, most of whom seem to be Turkish families enjoying a holiday outing.



The lackluster description of the castle provided by our Lonely Planet really hadn't done it justice. It is a tranquil spot, with a beautiful garden in the courtyard, a nice view and some interesting exhibits.




There are busts from the Greek and Roman periods, as well as some ancient glassware and jewelry. Although the current castle was built by the Ottoman sultan Suleyman the Magnificent in 1522, during his campaign to conquer Rhodes, the site dates back to an Ionian settlement circa 3000 B.C. My favourite exhibit provides a portrait and biography of Sultan Suleyman, a visionary who embraced freedom of religion during an era when the Spanish inquisition was in full force and some western European nations were expelling their Jewish and Muslim citizens.

The rampart commercialism of the waterfront is a sharp contrast to the tranquility of the castle, but the people-watching opportunities are hard to beat.







There are certainly many other things to do around Marmaris- we could hike the trails in the national parks, experience a Turkish bath at the hamam, or visit some of the ancient historic sites on the outskirts of town. Doubtless there will be other opportunities, but tomorrow, hopefully, we sail!
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007