Alacrity Travels

Alacrity - Our English word derives from the Latin word alacer, which means "lively." It denotes physical quickness coupled with eagerness or enthusiasm

27 December 2021 | Venice, FL
25 December 2021 | Ft Walton Beach, FL
25 December 2021 | Gulf Shores, AL
24 December 2021 | Mobile, AL
22 December 2021 | Silas, AL
22 December 2021 | Demopolis, AL
21 December 2021 | Columbus, MS
20 December 2021 | Fulton, MS
07 November 2021 | Iuka, MS
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
06 November 2021 | Joe wheeler State Park
05 November 2021 | Tennessee River: Chattanooga to Guntersville
03 November 2021 | Chattanooga, TN
03 November 2021 | Ten Mile, TN
04 October 2018 | Belhaven to Oriental, NC
02 October 2018 | Buck Island, NC to Belhaven, NC
01 October 2018 | Norfolk, VA to Bucks Island, NC
01 October 2018 | Sandy Hook, NJ to Norfolk, VA
29 September 2018 | Port Washington, NY to Sandy Hook, NJ

July 9, Monday

10 July 2018
We woke to another calm anchorage and spent a little time checking the weather. We travelled this far north to get out of the way of hurricanes and it figures one is developing right near our home and is projected to head this way. It's suppose to stay off shore, but we'll plan to head up a river when it gets close to be safe. A regular morning of chores (wipe down the boat, check fluids and fittings, rehang the dinghy) and we were off to our next destination.
The wind prediction for late today was pretty healthy, so we headed for a place called "The Basin" which is just a little way up the New Meadows River on the eastern shore. Not much wind at all, so we decided to do a little sight seeing and took the narrow path behind Yarmouth Island... the reward was more nicely set homes and picturesque coves to hide in at high tide. We did put the staysail up as we rounded West Cundy Point, mainly to slow the roll we got as we crossed the mouth of the New Meadows River and headed for some more sight seeing behind Malaga Island and through the village of Sebasco.
Sebasco is definitely a fishing/lobstering town as we passed down the narrow canal by several small commercial piers, just what you think of when someone says small Maine fishing village. Lobster pots were no more than 50 feet apart, so the helm was busy as we threaded though the pots in the narrow channel. It was worth the extra effort to enjoy the scenery. Just a couple miles up we entered the channel going into The Basin. Even though the tide was almost low, the sounder showed depths about six to ten feet deeper than the chart did, so there was plenty of water. Inside, the channel lined by tall pines opened to a large basin with small coves all around... another pretty place. The anchor held easily in 15 feet of water.
It was still early in the day, so Lesley got busy mending our dilapidated dodger just in case we needed it, and I spliced a new bridle for the anchor, and then tackled splicing the spectra line for the new topping lift. The 3 strand line for the bridle took about 10 minutes to splice, the spectra took 90.... guess I need more practice. We sewed the new spectra line to our old topping lift and with a little cajoling it made it through the sheeves and down the inside of the mast and out again. Another project item checked off the list. Lesley decided to go for a swim, the water temperature here is much warmer (maybe less cold) than it was at Richmond Island.
We got to watch seals, osprey and even a bald eagle fish in the waters of the basin. They weren't close enough to get a good picture, but they were all great entertainment. The wind blew strong, but the water remained calm until nightfall, then died down some. Another good 60 degree sleeping night. If we were still in NC, I'm sure we'd be baking.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alacrity
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Saga 43, Hull #10
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Lesley & Dan Allen