Alacrity Travels

Alacrity - Our English word derives from the Latin word alacer, which means "lively." It denotes physical quickness coupled with eagerness or enthusiasm

27 December 2021 | Venice, FL
25 December 2021 | Ft Walton Beach, FL
25 December 2021 | Gulf Shores, AL
24 December 2021 | Mobile, AL
22 December 2021 | Silas, AL
22 December 2021 | Demopolis, AL
21 December 2021 | Columbus, MS
20 December 2021 | Fulton, MS
07 November 2021 | Iuka, MS
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
06 November 2021 | Joe wheeler State Park
05 November 2021 | Tennessee River: Chattanooga to Guntersville
03 November 2021 | Chattanooga, TN
03 November 2021 | Ten Mile, TN
04 October 2018 | Belhaven to Oriental, NC
02 October 2018 | Buck Island, NC to Belhaven, NC
01 October 2018 | Norfolk, VA to Bucks Island, NC
01 October 2018 | Sandy Hook, NJ to Norfolk, VA
29 September 2018 | Port Washington, NY to Sandy Hook, NJ

7 August, Tuesday

09 August 2018 | Brooklyn to Islesboro ME
All the racers from yesterday were up early to head out. Most left in tow since there was just a hint of a breeze. One was trying to keep up using the breeze with those being slowly towed, but it was a challenge. Our trip to Islesboro went from little wind to great sailing to little wind. We managed to keep the engine off for a good portion of the time.
The trip took us west on Eggemoggin Reach. The sailing was better where the land on Deer Isle was lower and the wind could slip across. The reach is a long time favorite for sailers because the wind typically blows across, rather than down the reach, making for great wind with no waves. We enjoyed it as well. For races, there’s plenty of spots to onlookers to see the action fairly close up. The reach has a suspension bridge that crosses it. The height of the bridge is 85 feet at high water, plenty of room for us, but not for any mega sailing yachts. As we passed under the bridge, a large truck crossed and you could here the metal cabling work as the weight on the bridge moved across.
In our travels we explored Bucks Harbor, Horeshoe Cove, Hog and Pond Islands (nice beaches) and Islesboro Harbor. Early August must be the peak of boating vacationers, every place looked pretty busy. We ended up in a small cove on Islesboro Island called Bounty Cove. It was a quiet spot where we saw one bald eagle fly around the perimeter of the cove and perch on a tree to observe. Lesley made pork chops with a blueberry glaze, mashed potatoes and green beans with almonds, it was all fantastic. The boat got a good wash and the dry land received some badly needed moisture from rain that was on and off through the night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alacrity
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Saga 43, Hull #10
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Lesley & Dan Allen