Alacrity Travels

Alacrity - Our English word derives from the Latin word alacer, which means "lively." It denotes physical quickness coupled with eagerness or enthusiasm

27 December 2021 | Venice, FL
25 December 2021 | Ft Walton Beach, FL
25 December 2021 | Gulf Shores, AL
24 December 2021 | Mobile, AL
22 December 2021 | Silas, AL
22 December 2021 | Demopolis, AL
21 December 2021 | Columbus, MS
20 December 2021 | Fulton, MS
07 November 2021 | Iuka, MS
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
06 November 2021 | Joe wheeler State Park
05 November 2021 | Tennessee River: Chattanooga to Guntersville
03 November 2021 | Chattanooga, TN
03 November 2021 | Ten Mile, TN
04 October 2018 | Belhaven to Oriental, NC
02 October 2018 | Buck Island, NC to Belhaven, NC
01 October 2018 | Norfolk, VA to Bucks Island, NC
01 October 2018 | Sandy Hook, NJ to Norfolk, VA
29 September 2018 | Port Washington, NY to Sandy Hook, NJ

13 August, Monday

14 August 2018 | Port Clyde to Round Pound, ME
The forecast was for cloudy/rainy skies well into the week. So far, it’s accurate. We enjoyed breakfast at the general store and walked to the Post Office to mail some cards. The dock was empty and big enough for us to come in to fill up our starboard water tank. A tank usually lasts us about a week. We have two tanks, but fill them whenever we get a chance.
Our destination for the day was Round Pond, on the west side of Muscongus Bay. We took a detour and headed out to Benner and Allen Islands outside of Muscongus Bay. They are both owned by Betsy Wyeth. They’ve been in the Wyeth family for quite some time and are where Andrew spent many summers. Allen Island is also the site of many of Wyeth’s works, including my favorite. The photo included in this post looks like the house in his “Good-bye My Love” painting. Sunshine would of made our trip between the islands more idyllic, with no fog or rain, we were happy to enjoy the scenery that carries so much history.
With Lesley at the helm, we weaved our way across and around the many ledges in Muscongus Bay to Round Pond. The harbor was filled, mainly with recreational boats and a dozen or so lobster boats. No room to anchor, so we picked up a mooring. People in the Padebco marina couldn’t of been nicer. They had several different molds for boats in the shop, and a gentleman was generous enough to spend some time with me explaining how they did some of their work, and answered questions since I keep thinking about building a mold myself for a rowing shell.
Friendly people continued on our walk about town, we had a good discussion with Lee, a former professor at Fitchburg State (Lesley finished her graduate work there), and at least four people reminded us not to miss the “Free” bluegrass concert next to the “King Ro” market. We ate more steamers and shared a two pound lobster at one of the picnic tables on the wharf at the co-op. Great food, friendly service, great view.... the large refrigerated truck that backed down the wharf and stopped not more than 18 inches from our table to load bins of lobsters may have taken away a little of the ambiance, but added to the true character of the place....
We attended the concert. A stop on the way had us arriving with Maine Bear Woods and S’mores ice cream in our hands. We enjoyed the evening, neat music, interesting people to chat with and maybe yet another family we shared info with who may show up on our doorstep someday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alacrity
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Saga 43, Hull #10
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Lesley & Dan Allen