Alacrity Travels

Alacrity - Our English word derives from the Latin word alacer, which means "lively." It denotes physical quickness coupled with eagerness or enthusiasm

27 December 2021 | Venice, FL
25 December 2021 | Ft Walton Beach, FL
25 December 2021 | Gulf Shores, AL
24 December 2021 | Mobile, AL
22 December 2021 | Silas, AL
22 December 2021 | Demopolis, AL
21 December 2021 | Columbus, MS
20 December 2021 | Fulton, MS
07 November 2021 | Iuka, MS
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
06 November 2021 | Joe wheeler State Park
05 November 2021 | Tennessee River: Chattanooga to Guntersville
03 November 2021 | Chattanooga, TN
03 November 2021 | Ten Mile, TN
04 October 2018 | Belhaven to Oriental, NC
02 October 2018 | Buck Island, NC to Belhaven, NC
01 October 2018 | Norfolk, VA to Bucks Island, NC
01 October 2018 | Sandy Hook, NJ to Norfolk, VA
29 September 2018 | Port Washington, NY to Sandy Hook, NJ

14 August, Tuesday

15 August 2018 | Round Pond to Christmas Cove
We started the day with some great coffee at Round Pond’s best and only coffee shop. Too bad they were out of pastries when we arrived. We ran into Matthew again during our walk. He had his easil set up in a different spot to paint another seen from the harbor. The day earlier, he was capturing the open doors of a boat shop. He always greets us zealously, and is interesting to talk with. The coffee shop owner let us know he’s been painting all around town for many years. Some of his work was displayed in the coffee shop, he captures the town very well.
After watching the great positive example of all the locals, we’ve learned to be happy with whatever the day brings. More fog and some rain today, but that didn’t stop the kids learning to sail, Matthew from painting, or us heading out to our next destination. It’s one of Lesley’s favorites - Christmas cove. We entered from the back/east side of Rutherford Island through a passage by what’s called “Thread of Life.” It must be called that because the ledge of rocks to the east that protect the inner passage have just a narrow long patch of vegetation growing on top of them, the rest of the ledge is kept clean by the sea.
Christmas cove was mostly as we remembered it, large ledges in front that leave a small well marked opening to pass through while protecting the rest of the harbor from southerly weather. We picked up a mooring ball near the entrance, and next to a green day mark that served as the base for an osprey nest. The adult osprey flew back and forth continuously carrying food and more supplies to enlarge their nest as they were constantly cheered on by their young. They squacked nervously as an eagle passed overhead. We enjoyed the friendly service and good food at the Coveside restaurant for a late lunch. The fog cleared enough for a dinghy exploration around the harbor, there were many more boats on moorings than we recalled from our last visit a dozen years ago. All settled down at dark and Christmas Cove became completely silent.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alacrity
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Saga 43, Hull #10
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Lesley & Dan Allen