Alacrity Travels

Alacrity - Our English word derives from the Latin word alacer, which means "lively." It denotes physical quickness coupled with eagerness or enthusiasm

27 December 2021 | Venice, FL
25 December 2021 | Ft Walton Beach, FL
25 December 2021 | Gulf Shores, AL
24 December 2021 | Mobile, AL
22 December 2021 | Silas, AL
22 December 2021 | Demopolis, AL
21 December 2021 | Columbus, MS
20 December 2021 | Fulton, MS
07 November 2021 | Iuka, MS
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
06 November 2021 | Joe wheeler State Park
05 November 2021 | Tennessee River: Chattanooga to Guntersville
03 November 2021 | Chattanooga, TN
03 November 2021 | Ten Mile, TN
04 October 2018 | Belhaven to Oriental, NC
02 October 2018 | Buck Island, NC to Belhaven, NC
01 October 2018 | Norfolk, VA to Bucks Island, NC
01 October 2018 | Sandy Hook, NJ to Norfolk, VA
29 September 2018 | Port Washington, NY to Sandy Hook, NJ

31 August, Friday

04 September 2018 | Newport Rhode Island
Wow, August went by fast! We're staying put until Monday so we spent the day exploring Newport. We've both been here several times before, but visits were typically connected to the Newport Boat Show, the America's Cup museum or tours of the Newport mansions.
After provisioning and exploring the best marine consignment store I've come across (I was hoping to get some spare parts for our now obsolete anchor windless - no luck) we took the ninety minute tour of Newport. It was well worth the time. We learned about Newport's rum making history, their significance to be the first place to declare independence from the British, the first synagogue in the US, the first Episcopal church in the US, how the British cut down trees and houses during the 1770s to burn wood for heat, with exception to what is known as the "Quaker District", how the Newport economy changed from Rum to the place for the extremely wealthy to vacation and for tourism in the gilded age of the 1800s. We also visited the Tennis Hall of Fame where the first US National Championship was played in 1881, saw where the New York Yacht Club held the America's Cup from its inception until 1983 and where John and Jackie Kennedy were married. There was a lot more about historical and current people in the rich and famous crowd; and about restoration, saving one of a kind animal species and philanthropy- there's plenty in Newport to capture your interest.
We also visited a print shop where a woman has been using her 1860s vintage printer and carving her own wood print masters for the past 53 years to create and sell prints.
Some actual work happened to give the boat a thorough wash down, which was celebrated with more live music and great food at the Naval Station Officers Club to cap off a great day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alacrity
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Saga 43, Hull #10
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Lesley & Dan Allen