Alacrity Travels

Alacrity - Our English word derives from the Latin word alacer, which means "lively." It denotes physical quickness coupled with eagerness or enthusiasm

27 December 2021 | Venice, FL
25 December 2021 | Ft Walton Beach, FL
25 December 2021 | Gulf Shores, AL
24 December 2021 | Mobile, AL
22 December 2021 | Silas, AL
22 December 2021 | Demopolis, AL
21 December 2021 | Columbus, MS
20 December 2021 | Fulton, MS
07 November 2021 | Iuka, MS
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
07 November 2021 | Florence, AL
06 November 2021 | Joe wheeler State Park
05 November 2021 | Tennessee River: Chattanooga to Guntersville
03 November 2021 | Chattanooga, TN
03 November 2021 | Ten Mile, TN
04 October 2018 | Belhaven to Oriental, NC
02 October 2018 | Buck Island, NC to Belhaven, NC
01 October 2018 | Norfolk, VA to Bucks Island, NC
01 October 2018 | Sandy Hook, NJ to Norfolk, VA
29 September 2018 | Port Washington, NY to Sandy Hook, NJ

27 September, Thursday

27 September 2018 | Essex, CT to Port Washington, NY
A sliver of sun brought us the day. It was good to be back on the boat again, although while sleeping, Lesley heard the water going by the boat and initially thought it was hurricane waters flooding our house.... maybe we got back on the boat too soon.
The wind and current for the day was perfect. It pushed us down the CT River where the Railroad Bridge operator opened it up for us just as we arrived. Sails went up and we were soon on a reach west in Long Island Sound going about 10.2 knots on the main and genoa alone. We initially planned on traveling to Port Jefferson, which would of made an easy 36 knot trip, but the longer term forecast indicated we should be down the Jersey coast by Sunday night, or risk beating into a southwest wind for a couple days. With good wind, and a nice day, we decided we'd make it a longer one and see if we could get to Port Washington, just a few miles from the entrance to the East River in NYC. The wind dropped from 16 to 12, which was good enough to keep us over 7 knots for the majority of the trip. As we approached Oyster Bay, the wind took a dive to six, so we started the engine to help us make headway against the current which just reversed against us and to make sure we got in before dark.
Port Washington has over 20 moorings balls for transients, we were surprised every one of them was taken. With plenty of room in the harbor, anchoring was easy, our only concern is if this was indication how busy the rest of the harbors will be as we go south. Lesley made a great chicken pesto and brussel sprout dinner. We were both happy we get to sleep in some tomorrow to allow time for the current to change in the east river before we get there (and for the forecasted heavy rain to ease some). We’re both silently hoping the rain isn't too bad in the morning so we can can make it into the great deli here for breakfast...
Comments
Vessel Name: Alacrity
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Saga 43, Hull #10
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Lesley & Dan Allen