Leeway II

Fulfilling a life-long dream of cruising the oceans in our own boat. Join us as we travel in our classic 1984 Alberg 37 Yawl

31 March 2014 | Hopetown to Man O War
31 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour, Abacos
11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
28 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
28 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
09 February 2014 | Treasure Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
31 January 2014 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
30 December 2013 | Indiantown
03 November 2013 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2013 | Riviera Beach Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
27 December 2012 | Stuart, Florida
17 October 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
28 June 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
20 May 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
07 May 2012 | Indiantown, Florida
28 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

The Dock was made of Velcro

29 October 2010 | Kinsale, Virginia
Wayne
We left Annapolis after a wonderful stay in which we managed to cross several items off our 'bucket list' including stopping traffic to take our boat under Spa Creek bridge.

We were making our way down the bay towards Kinsale and a rendezvous with both old friends, Derek and Sue (Derek was to be crew for the next leg of the trip) and with fellow Albergers, Tom and Kaye Assenmacher, who had invited us to stay at their dock for a few days. But, we wanted to make a couple of stops along the way first.

The first night out of Annapolis we went about 20 miles down the Bay to Harring Bay and decided to go into Harrington Harbour Marina North so that we could do laundry, get water and fuel. Harrington Harbour is a huge marina facility and although lovely was like any other marina but it did offer facilities for accomplishing our tasks.

Next morning, chores done, we headed for Solomons Islands and accomplished a 35 miles run and arrived at the harbour on the island by mid- afternoon. Along the way our chartplotter stopped working and so we decided to take a slip at Calvert Marina in order to try to fix it. As it turned out, it was merely a corroded connection and was repaired in about 10 minutes but by that time it was too late to move out into the anchorage. We dinghied across the harbour to a restaurant called the Captain's Table and had a marvellous meal since this was likely to be our last night alone together.

Next morning we fuelled up and got a pump-out before leaving Solomons and heading for Kinsale. The winds were light and on-the-nose (where else) so we motored down the Bay and into the Potomac River (the one that runs up to Washington, DC) where we were met with some rather choppy water where the Bay and river met. But, after a few minutes, we past over the confluence area and motored up the Potomac and into the Yeocomico River to find the small town of Kinsale. We sailed right into the Yeocomico River and up to the dock at Assenmacher's home and parked beside their Alberg 37 Shearwater.

We were greeted with open arms and treated to the finest of southern hospitality for the next 4 days. Tom and Kaye couldn't do enough for us and on the first night we treated to some fine home cooking and story telling at its finest. The next day while we were being escorted all over the countryside by our gracious hosts Derek and Sue arrived and received the same welcome and generous hospitality as Cindy and I. A strong cold front prevented us from taking Sue sailing on the Potomac and adjacent waters for a couple of days but we enjoyed being at Assenmacher's dock and didn't lack for things to do. The girls went shopping while the boys played with the boats. But, sadly, Friday rolled around and Cindy and Sue had to leave for home. Leeway is a little lonely place right now and feels like she's lost a big piece of her heart when Cindy left but we both feel that making the boat into a southern-based winter home is the right thing for us to do, so we carry on.

After such great hospitality it was hard to tear ourselves away and it felt like the dock had Velcro along its edge but Derek and I found a weather window on Saturday. And so, we bid adieu to the feasts of oysters and crabs that we were offered during our stay and took Leeway down the Bay looking forward to new adventures.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leeway II
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 Alberg 37' Yawl
Hailing Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
About:
Wayne & Cindy Milroy have been sailing and cruising on Lake Ontario for nearly twenty-five years. Since shortly after joining forces in life, we nurtured the dream to go cruising on our own sailboat “where the butter always melts”. [...]
Extra:
We will use this blog to share our escapades as we go wandering about. We’ll try to keep our family updated on our whereabouts and convince them that we are safe; we’ll share the excitement and wonder of our adventures with friends who supported our dreams throughout the years; and, we’ll [...]

Leeway's Crew

Who: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
WELCOME ABOARD! Feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. We'd love to hear from you. PLEASE NOTE! The most recent posts are listed first. If you would like to follow this blog from its beginning please click on the Contents and scroll to the bottom. Early posts are located at the end of the list.
(c) 2010 Wayne & Cindy Milroy. All rights reserved