Leeway II

Fulfilling a life-long dream of cruising the oceans in our own boat. Join us as we travel in our classic 1984 Alberg 37 Yawl

31 March 2014 | Hopetown to Man O War
31 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour, Abacos
11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
28 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
28 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
09 February 2014 | Treasure Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
31 January 2014 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
30 December 2013 | Indiantown
03 November 2013 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2013 | Riviera Beach Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
27 December 2012 | Stuart, Florida
17 October 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
28 June 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
20 May 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
07 May 2012 | Indiantown, Florida
28 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

Charleston - A Gracious Southern City

21 November 2010 | Charleston, South Carolina
Wayne
We left Georgetown on a cold, frosty, but bright morning loaded down with our booty of seafood. Leeway was, one again, seeking her place in the sun (and warmer locations - you won't believe how cold it's been since we left home).

We were entering a region that would present greater opportunities for anchoring than was possible through the Grand Strand (Myrtle Beach) area. A strong high pressure cell was sitting right over top of us and this created bright, clear skies but accompanying it was a blast of frigid air (of course, the area TV stations were calling it a "Canadian" artic cold front) and so we bundled up and headed further south. We travelled throughout the day seeing very few boats and arrived at about 4pm at DeWees Creek at ICW mile marker 454.7 and threw an anchor for the evening. The anchorage was near an inlet from the ocean and a state wildlife refuge making both the scenery and the abundance of wildlife breathtaking (see the photo gallery). The only traffic moving through the area was a ferry that shuttles birders and other naturalists from the mainland to the refuge and so we spent a quiet night in idyllic surroundings.

The next morning was a little warmer and, once again, sunny and so we weighed anchor early and set off towards Charleston - our next stop.

We travelled through a rather narrow channel, under a bascule bridge that required opening, and into Charleston Harbour where we promptly ran aground. Fortunately we easily extricated ourselves from our temporary love affair with dirt and we ran the huge ocean-going ship channels through the harbour and found the City Docks near downtown Charleston. They call the City Docks - the "Megadock" and you better believe it's just that. The face pier is over a quarter of a mile long and you guessed it we found ourselves assigned a spot at the very end and, boy, was it a long, long walk to the office and washrooms. The mega yachts parked there were absolutely amazing and were just a prelude to the kind of wealth that we found prevalent throughout our stay in Charleston. But, the first afternoon had to be dedicated to changing the engine oil, an alternator belt, and transmission fluid before we could go sightseeing because maintenance schedules are a cruel master.

We decided to leave our tour of Charleston until the next day and shortly after breakfast we were off to see this fascinating city. Charleston is draped with history like the palmetto trees are draped with Spanish moss. Everywhere you turned were astonishingly beautiful antebellum mansions, historical sights that dated back to the civil war and beyond, gorgeous modern parks, and friendly inviting people. Charleston is the place where the civil war began at Fort Sumter (which is located in the harbour) and has been continually occupied since Neolithic times.

The city's connection to the confederacy is not only well documented but proudly preserved, and monuments and preserved historical sites abound everywhere. Truly it seemed we were walking through a history book.

But, to pretend that Charleston, is merely a footnote in history does this dynamic city a serious injustice. It is today a modern, clean and forward-looking international city that provides first-class facilities to international maritime shipping companies and the cruise-line industry as well as a destination of choice for both international and domestic travellers alike.

Truly it was a most enjoyable day spent immersed in history with first-class facilities right at hand. If you ever get the opportunity to visit Charleston don't pass up the chance you'll truly regret it. This is indeed a most unique example of a gracious southern city that seems to provide a genteel serenity for all who visit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leeway II
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 Alberg 37' Yawl
Hailing Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
About:
Wayne & Cindy Milroy have been sailing and cruising on Lake Ontario for nearly twenty-five years. Since shortly after joining forces in life, we nurtured the dream to go cruising on our own sailboat “where the butter always melts”. [...]
Extra:
We will use this blog to share our escapades as we go wandering about. We’ll try to keep our family updated on our whereabouts and convince them that we are safe; we’ll share the excitement and wonder of our adventures with friends who supported our dreams throughout the years; and, we’ll [...]

Leeway's Crew

Who: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
WELCOME ABOARD! Feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. We'd love to hear from you. PLEASE NOTE! The most recent posts are listed first. If you would like to follow this blog from its beginning please click on the Contents and scroll to the bottom. Early posts are located at the end of the list.
(c) 2010 Wayne & Cindy Milroy. All rights reserved