Leeway II

Fulfilling a life-long dream of cruising the oceans in our own boat. Join us as we travel in our classic 1984 Alberg 37 Yawl

31 March 2014 | Hopetown to Man O War
31 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour, Abacos
11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
28 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
28 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
09 February 2014 | Treasure Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
31 January 2014 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
30 December 2013 | Indiantown
03 November 2013 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2013 | Riviera Beach Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
27 December 2012 | Stuart, Florida
17 October 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
28 June 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
20 May 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
07 May 2012 | Indiantown, Florida
28 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

Laid Back in Man O War

17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
Cindy
We stayed in Treasure Cay until Tuesday, February 11th and headed to Man O War Cay. It was hard to pull ourselves away from this little piece of paradise, but we got some exploring to do! We left on a falling tide and although Man O War was only about 18 miles, we didn’t want to get there at low tide because of a 5 1/2 ‘ bar at the entrance, so we lopped along at about 3.5 knots enjoying the scenery and the crystal clear water. There wasn’t enough wind to sail, so we took turns steering our course. We arrived at Man O War at about 1:30 on a rising tide and picked up a mooring.

There are two harbours at Man O War and both are full of mooring balls, so much so that you can’t anchor. Before we could finish tying our lines, the owner of the mooring, David Albury came by to collect payment. We paid for a week and settled in with our mandatory Caesar, or maybe it was 2 (we hadn’t had breakfast yet, but who cares? We're cruising!).

We have a few friends that come to Man O War each year so we jumped in the dinghy and went to say hello. Lou and Jean Wayne who we know from the Alberg Association and now own a trawler and Jim and Carol Anne Organ who keep their boat at Indiantown like us, stay in the other harbour. We had a nice visit with each and then ventured back to Leeway.

We had a bit of an issue with a grinding noise when we were picking up the mooring and were not sure what it was. Upon further investigation, there appeared to be something wrong with the prop. We have a Luke feathering prop and once the mechanic was able to pull it, we found out that the gears inside the prop were likely stripped. The prop is only about 8 years old, so this shouldn't happen, but we'll have it investigated when we get back state side. Have you every seen someone take a prop off.. under water.. with just a mask and snorkel? Oh yes, and a 2x4 and a hammer?? Chad from Edwin’s Boat Yard did an amazing job. They have a used replacement prop for us which they need to send to the prop shop in Marsh Harbour the first of the week to be re-pitched and then they’ll install it on our boat and hopefully we’re as good as new. We won’t be able to leave here until at least Thursday because the boat yard only takes cash and the bank is only open on Wednesdays. Such is life in the Bahamas!

This past Saturday was the annual school bazaar and fair. What an event! There were all kinds of things for sale, both new and used as well as all kinds of food – fried chicken, ribs, burgers, conch fritters, conch salad, crawfish salad – it was a regular feast. The money from this event raises money for the school and attracts both locals and tourists from all the other islands. It was really a fun day. We wandered through the village speaking with other boaters, looking in the shops and enjoying ourselves. Wayne bought a conch shell that has a hole in the end of it to make a horn and did quite well with it. It’s a tradition every evening that you blow the conch shell to signify sundown. We were feeling a bit left out because we didn’t have a shell, but now all is right because we can sound off with the best of them. In fact, Saturday night was a regular symphony of conch horns (well, not really a symphony, but fun none the less).

We have just had a swim off the boat and as I write this we are having a new drink that I invented – I call it a Loopy Lizard. It’s made with rum, pineapple juice, mango juice, oranges and coconut cream. MMM good! Stayed tuned for the next installment! Provided I haven't gotten to Loopy!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leeway II
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 Alberg 37' Yawl
Hailing Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
About:
Wayne & Cindy Milroy have been sailing and cruising on Lake Ontario for nearly twenty-five years. Since shortly after joining forces in life, we nurtured the dream to go cruising on our own sailboat “where the butter always melts”. [...]
Extra:
We will use this blog to share our escapades as we go wandering about. We’ll try to keep our family updated on our whereabouts and convince them that we are safe; we’ll share the excitement and wonder of our adventures with friends who supported our dreams throughout the years; and, we’ll [...]

Leeway's Crew

Who: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
WELCOME ABOARD! Feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. We'd love to hear from you. PLEASE NOTE! The most recent posts are listed first. If you would like to follow this blog from its beginning please click on the Contents and scroll to the bottom. Early posts are located at the end of the list.
(c) 2010 Wayne & Cindy Milroy. All rights reserved