Sailing on Paradise

21 May 2015 | Gumusluk
01 May 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
30 April 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
28 February 2015 | Marmaris
21 September 2014 | Kos
23 August 2014 | Sifnos, Greece
23 August 2014 | Kiperissiri
06 July 2014 | Cephalonia
08 June 2014 | Corfu
22 May 2014 | Kassiopi, Corfu
10 May 2014 | Taormina, Sicily
10 May 2014 | Vulcano, The Aeolian Islands
05 May 2014 | Palermo
01 May 2014 | Arenella near Palermo
25 April 2014 | San Vito lo Capo

Finally a working engine, water and clean clothes!

28 May 2013 | Vilamoura Marina
Ness
After 12 stressful days in Cascais our port engine is finally fitted with a new fuel injection pump by two great local mechanics, quite a large but reasonable bill. We made the most of this time with a visit to Lisbon and enjoyed the local dish of Peri-peri chicken, hot but tasty. During this time, we were joined in Cascais by Richard and Barbara, but unfortunately we could not go sailing. They both enjoyed Cascais with us but after 10 days they travelled up to Faro to enable them to be near the airport for their journey home. So we set sail for Sines and a lovely motor/sail in calm, warm conditions. On arrival we were all very relieved to be able to fill up our water tanks from a local marina. The water situation was beginning to look very dire and we were getting more Robinson Crusoe by the day! We did manage one shower from Cascais marina but at a charge of 6.50 euros, so not too many of those! That evening we had the generator going for the luxury of washing our clothes and to have showers. Neil's first shower in 12 days! The next morning we set off early and arrived in Sagres after a twelve hour trip. It was a pleasant trip once the morning mist had cleared and we were visited by a pod of porpoises which Neil was able to video for his facebook page. Once anchored we settled down to a quiet evening for a meal and to relax in front of a DVD....but no! At 10pm the saloon was suddenly in floodlights and we were being boarded once more by the maritime police! All quite exciting really and they were very pleasant guys. We enjoyed the next day in Lagos and later went for dinner in a Chinese restaurant where we could overlook Paradise as we ate. The next morning started eventfully due to my apparent inability to steer into the wind. Many of you will be aware of the difficultly of steering into the wind with only one engine, particularly in gusty conditions. My attempt sent Paul into a frenzied, apoplectic moment! The result - I retreated to my cabin to simmer down and to lick my wounds. Paul came down to me an hour later with some chocolate as a peace offering and all was happy once more. Apparently Paul has said he will now always start have both engines for this manoevre as it is too stressful for him (him!!) otherwise. We love each other really but Neil believed there should always be a minimum of 3 people on this boat!
Vessel Name: Paradise
Vessel Make/Model: Aldabra
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
About:
Hi! We, (Paul and Ness) are soon setting off to sail around the world. We sail Paradise, a 60ft Catamaran which we purchased from Italy in 2011. The last two winters have been very busy for us as we prepared Paradise for our adventure. [...]
Social:

Sailing on Paradise

Who: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
Port: Dartmouth