Sailing on Paradise

21 May 2015 | Gumusluk
01 May 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
30 April 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
28 February 2015 | Marmaris
21 September 2014 | Kos
23 August 2014 | Sifnos, Greece
23 August 2014 | Kiperissiri
06 July 2014 | Cephalonia
08 June 2014 | Corfu
22 May 2014 | Kassiopi, Corfu
10 May 2014 | Taormina, Sicily
10 May 2014 | Vulcano, The Aeolian Islands
05 May 2014 | Palermo
01 May 2014 | Arenella near Palermo
25 April 2014 | San Vito lo Capo

The Nightclub Capital of Europe-Ibiza

13 July 2013 | Mallorca
Ness
The Night Club Capital of Europe – Ibiza
After leaving the scenic town of Calpe we head off for the crossing over to the Balearic Islands. It was a good passage, the 5 hours of sailing making up speed for the 8 hours of only motoring. Initially the intention was to anchor off Formentera, however due to the direction of winds we modified our plans and anchored off Puerto El Esplanada. That was not that straightforward, as the sea bed there is largely covered with Poseidon Grass and that is protected by the local conservation authority so finding a ‘grass’ free spot was slightly tricky in these crowded, shallow waters. Any extra difficulty was well worth it for this turned out to be a beautiful spot with us snorkelling in crystal clear water, lounging in glorious sunshine and lovely views of the unspoilt beaches.
A few days later we took the short trip over to Cala de Port Roig, a stunning cove off the north-west tip of Ibiza. An interesting time watching several ‘mega yachts’ arrive and depart, some making more waves than others! My first night in Ibiza was an unsettled one due to noise and swell from all the jollities of the ‘jet set’. They seemed to party all night and found it completely necessary to power their dinghies to a very fast speed. Yes I know, I am just getting old and grumpy, and as Paul reminded me – this is Ibiza!
Next day we headed off to Cala Tarida and met Barbara and Dave (and their son, grand-daughter and friend) from ‘Solin of Lancaster’. A very pleasant afternoon spent on their boat chatting about past yachting experiences and much exchanging of information and advice. The next morning both of us travelled around to San Antonio, one of the most popular places for young British tourists. A trip ashore confirmed this; it was packed with young brits and streets lines with night clubs, many were surprising expensive! One piece of information gleaned from Barbara and Dave was about a great restaurant on shore, so later instead of bogeying the night away, we dined on superb food in this pleasing restaurant and chatted to a lovely English couple staying nearby.
Next destination for us was to Cala Salada, where we had pre-arranged to meet up again with Chrissie and Steve. I have to tell you that I was trusted at the helm for this short trip and Paul felt enough at ease to do a few jobs along the way. As far as I am aware no pills were required. It was great to catch up with our new friends once more and we shared a nice BBQ on board Paradise. We were not so keen to share ourselves with the mosquitoes but they would not take no for an answer so next morning we awoke to many new bites. Any advice for managing to live peacefully alongside these menaces will be gratefully received. We already know about sprays, wrist bands, citronella candles and fresh basil plants! They appear capable of overcoming all these tricks. After a fond farewell to Steve and Chrissie, with plans in hand to meet up in Wales during the winter, we head off to our last destination in Ibiza before setting across to the larger island of Mallorca.

Vessel Name: Paradise
Vessel Make/Model: Aldabra
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
About:
Hi! We, (Paul and Ness) are soon setting off to sail around the world. We sail Paradise, a 60ft Catamaran which we purchased from Italy in 2011. The last two winters have been very busy for us as we prepared Paradise for our adventure. [...]
Social:

Sailing on Paradise

Who: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
Port: Dartmouth