Sailing on Paradise

21 May 2015 | Gumusluk
01 May 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
30 April 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
28 February 2015 | Marmaris
21 September 2014 | Kos
23 August 2014 | Sifnos, Greece
23 August 2014 | Kiperissiri
06 July 2014 | Cephalonia
08 June 2014 | Corfu
22 May 2014 | Kassiopi, Corfu
10 May 2014 | Taormina, Sicily
10 May 2014 | Vulcano, The Aeolian Islands
05 May 2014 | Palermo
01 May 2014 | Arenella near Palermo
25 April 2014 | San Vito lo Capo

The children arrive!

16 October 2013 | Armatax
Ness
At last the day arrives when we collect James, James and Hayley from Olbia airport. No, that was not a typing error; Paul and I have 4 children between us and both our sons are called James. A great name but can get confusing. My James, your James seems to work! I also have a lovely daughter Jennifer but sadly she was unable to join us due to work commitments. We stayed in Olbia for the evening, enjoying a BBQ and a walk to the nearby town centre. Gorgeous ice-creams were a consumed as we wandered around this pleasant town.
The next morning set off and arrived at Isola Porri, where we swam, and snorkelled and sunbathed. The following day we had an exciting sail around back to Liscia de Vacca in heavy rain and some lightening flashes. During the sail we saw many yachts including the Maltese Falcon, much to James’s (Paul’s) delight. Later that afternoon we took a trip ashore and took a long walk arrived at Porto Cervo and had a spectacular close up viewing of all the racing yachts lined up in the marina. On the return journey a gamble was taken and we chanced a drink in a bar. I say this as we had been warned that everything around Porto Cervo, fact the whole of the Costa Smeralda can be ridiculously expensive. Hayley chose the bar well and we paid 5 Euros each for a coke, bad enough ordinarily but we felt we had done well. Apparently some have paid 20-30 Euros for a single beer or coffee!!
Next day back off to The Maddalena Islands, as there is a Geological Museum ashore that we thought James (Paul’s) would find interesting. I will take this opportunity to wish James all the best at Plymouth University, have a great time! We had a gentle sail so in turns got pulled along in the biscuit. A great way to cool down!
The next day we sailed to Corsica and were disappointed not to be able to anchor up in Bonafacio. Instead we travelled a little further round to the quiet, protected Cala de Paragnanu. A pleasant bay, packed with fish, including a stingray much to Hayley’s delight. Hayley had a wonderful time the whole holiday with her feeding the fish. It was fascinating to watch as Hayley swam around underwater the fish followed her in great shoals and even fed from her hand! Hayley is almost a ‘real’ mermaid.
Well as you can tell the holiday with our children was all going swimmingly (sorry could not resist the pun). Then..... Paul woke up after a snooze in the sun and obviously was still rather bleary eyed as he stumbled and badly twisted his ankle as he did so. Poor thing, he was in a great deal of pain so many nurses were called for, although I am sure we did not quite fit the description Paul had in mind. The ankle came up very swollen indeed and Paul could not bear any weight on it so it was decided to head to Palau, Sardinia to seek some medical advice. Once there James and James gave Paul a chair lift with Paul hopping along in between to give them a much needed rest. They finally arrived at the medical centre where a doctor confirmed the ankle was badly sprained and required complete rest for several days. This all clearly got Paul down but accidents happen and in case you were wondering I will add it was not a case of ‘you need more water with it next time!’
On the children’s last evening we went ashore for a meal out and that was no easy task! Paul was still unable to put any weight onto his ankle so he needed a chair lift to get him from the dingy to the Restaurant. Although James (Paul’s) was a little embarrassed about his father’s condition (the chair lift, hopping etc) we all had a lovely time and it finished off a lovely holiday. They had all helped so much with all the added difficulties brought about through Paul’s accident. Thank you James (Paul’s) for all your dingy competence, my James for all your efforts at the helm and Hayley for all the help in preparing meals and for keeping Daddy company when the rest of us abandoned ship for the beach or town!
The next day after dropping the children off for their bus, I was obliged to take my first solo run in the dingy. Actually I was delighted to have this opportunity, I love having a ‘go’ at everything. Paul was very nervous about this and watched anxiously from Paradise. I had assured him ardently that I was quite able to do this and there was no need to worry or doubt my capabilities in this feat. Hmm... Well I have to say I do not feel wholly responsible that I ran out of petrol and that the children had to call the harbour staff to rescue me as I bobbed about in the sea. I did not dare look at Paul’s face as I was pulled to safety to the steps of Paradise. I have not been allowed to venture alone in the dingy since.
Comments
Vessel Name: Paradise
Vessel Make/Model: Aldabra
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
About:
Hi! We, (Paul and Ness) are soon setting off to sail around the world. We sail Paradise, a 60ft Catamaran which we purchased from Italy in 2011. The last two winters have been very busy for us as we prepared Paradise for our adventure. [...]
Social:

Sailing on Paradise

Who: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
Port: Dartmouth