Sailing on Paradise

21 May 2015 | Gumusluk
01 May 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
30 April 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
28 February 2015 | Marmaris
21 September 2014 | Kos
23 August 2014 | Sifnos, Greece
23 August 2014 | Kiperissiri
06 July 2014 | Cephalonia
08 June 2014 | Corfu
22 May 2014 | Kassiopi, Corfu
10 May 2014 | Taormina, Sicily
10 May 2014 | Vulcano, The Aeolian Islands
05 May 2014 | Palermo
01 May 2014 | Arenella near Palermo
25 April 2014 | San Vito lo Capo

In We Go!

01 May 2015 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
Ness
After two weeks of preparation the day finally came when our boat was scheduled to be launched back into the water. The chief mariner came to visit us and informed us they would be bringing the crane to collect our boat between 11 and 12 0'clock. When 4 O'clock arrived and still no sight of the crane Paul decided to enquire at the office to see what the delay was; a large motor cruiser had jumped the queue but Paul is assured we would be next. Hardly surprising that we were not that assured but hey half an hour later and the enormous crane trundled around the corner to us. This crane is capable of lifting up to 330 tons in weight in its large canvas slings. It is amazing to watch these cranes in action and marvel at the skill of the driver, such a huge responsibility also!
Great care is needed and taken to ensure the slings are located in the correct strong spots and then the slings are winched up to lift the boat off its blocks where it has "stood" for the last 6 months. The crane then moves slowly to the launching area, a good 500 metres away for the boat to be carefully lowered into the water once again. Quite a stressful time for us then follows as Paul switches the engines on to move us to our berth for the next few days. Last year we had problems with the steering at this point and emergency measures had to be put in place but all went well and we were soon moored up with a glass of wine in our hands. Cheers - to another 6 months before we have to do that again!
Comments
Vessel Name: Paradise
Vessel Make/Model: Aldabra
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
About:
Hi! We, (Paul and Ness) are soon setting off to sail around the world. We sail Paradise, a 60ft Catamaran which we purchased from Italy in 2011. The last two winters have been very busy for us as we prepared Paradise for our adventure. [...]
Social:

Sailing on Paradise

Who: Paul Doolan and Vanessa Collett
Port: Dartmouth