S/V Aletheia

Refitting and loving in Baltimore, Md.

30 July 2013 | BMC-Lighthouse Point
24 July 2013 | Back Creek, Annapolis
15 May 2013 | White Rock Creek, Pasadina, Md
16 January 2013 | BMC
16 January 2013 | BMC
21 November 2012 | Germantown, Md. Not very close to the harbors of England here
20 August 2012 | BMC
18 June 2012 | BMC
04 June 2012 | Back Creek and BMC
01 May 2012 | BMC, MD and Reading, Pa
16 April 2012 | BMC-Patapsco
06 April 2012 | Baltimore
24 January 2012 | BMC
19 December 2011 | BMC
28 November 2011 | Lake Orion, Michigan
23 November 2011 | BMC
14 November 2011 | The Bay Bridge and Sillery Bay

My thoughts

19 December 2011 | BMC
Tim/not normal for Dec.
Hey there Blog world. Thought I would post some of my thoughts on the direction I believe this country is heading in. This started as an email to my family and this is an edited version.

Hey there family.

After listening to the news the last few weeks and reading a lot regarding Europe’s banking crisis and Greece’s monetary collapse, Spain’s near collapse, I thought it was time for a dad digest.

I know all of you are working hard and building your life’s and families and doing a GREAT job of it.

There are still events and trends that I don’t think we as a family can ignore. France and Germany are trying to “save” the EU by usurping the constitutions and national identities of 27 nations. Greece has descended into a complete financial collapse including a run on the banks earlier this week. Latvia had a major run on it’s national bank. Italy , Spain and Portugal are close to collapse and well. The people of those countries will eventually revolt against the Politian’s and loss of national identities. Think collapse of the European Union and every nation will be for it’s own self. (Civil war though out Europe ???-Maybe)

The middle east has basically been lost to pro-US groups by the idiot(s) we have and have had, in the white house, Israel feels like we have abandoned them, (BTW every country in history, except Palestine, that has turn away from God’s chosen have perished)

The US is $13+ trillion in acknowledged debt. The treasury and the Fed have admitted to an additional $7.7 trillion in bank bail-out money. Who knows how much is really spent.

The US military announced the first of many force reductions. All of the active duty and reservists released will want jobs. There are not enough jobs now. More under employment and un-employment in the US. As the military cuts back, the military spending on contracts with private companies will go down. More lay-offs and un-employment.

All this to say, I think things are going to get really bad in the next 5-10 years and we as a family need to do what we can to prepare. I know money is tight for all of us but there are still actions we can take.

Financially, you can assume that inflation and much higher taxes will be coming. Any money kept in electronic based savings or in US dollars will seriously erode in value. That means savings accounts, 401k accounts etc. will be taxed and what ever money left over will not be worth the same as when you earned it (inflation) Hard assets like pre-1964 silver coins, gold, etc will go up in value over the same time. Look at investing what ever you can in hard assets and keeping them safely put away.

During the depression years, bartering and trade were relied on to procure goods and services. That will happen again eventually. Think about items that can be bartered or traded. A skill you have, items you have collected now etc. Be creative, it could start as a simple hobby or craft now but be used to trade or barter later.

Safety is a concern. Having the ability to protect and defend yourselves and your family is huge. Having the equipment available is important and a users comfort level for everyone in your families.

After reading this over it sounds very dire. But I am very sure about what direction this country is going in and we all still have time to prepare. Let’s not wait until there is no more time. There are a few other things I have been thinking about as well for our family. Like everyone getting their HAM licenses and gear and learning how to communicate via the HAM net’s.

We as a family can be preparing and living a great life. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Just my thoughts.

Love all you guys and I am looking forward to the dialog I hope this will start. (probably a discussion on dad coming off his med’s…What mental help home is best for me..etc)

Dad.

The Pic is of my bride and I at the company Christmas party Friday.

Comments
Vessel Name: Aletheia
Vessel Make/Model: Challenger 40 Ketch
Hailing Port: Baltimore, MD
Crew: Captain Tim
About: Full Time live-aboard in Baltimore inner harbor.
Social:

The Crew

Who: Captain Tim
Port: Baltimore, MD