AlexandrA comes home

Vessel Name: AlexandrA
Vessel Make/Model: Catamaran Fontaine Pajot Bahia 46'
Hailing Port: Coming home from St Martin to Oz
Crew: Max (Skipper) Sandra (Mate) and Mark (technology management)
About: A Family, a Boat and many a tale to remember
Extra: This tale will unfold in almost real time so we shall see what we shall see.
04 July 2012
11 June 2012 | Tahiti
29 May 2012
22 May 2012 | 100o mls short of next landfall
16 May 2012
15 May 2012
09 May 2012 | Galapogos
06 May 2012 | Guess!
28 April 2012
23 April 2012 | Panama Canal
18 April 2012
16 April 2012
08 April 2012
04 April 2012 | colon Panama
24 March 2012 | Roseau, Dominica
Recent Blog Posts
04 July 2012

CYCLONE KEITH

Well at present we are well in transit between The Cook Islands and Tonga. Having motor sailed due to light winds in the middle section we are now back to sail with a lovely 15 knots off the port stern. 48 hours away till the greetings of the Tongans. we encountered cyclone Keith upon leaving The Cooks. [...]

11 June 2012 | Tahiti

Sharks one Bannanas

Well while at Hivo Oa we grabbed some fruit from a farm in the mountains. I Bunch of 120 bananas for $5 and my new bestest favorites food, pomellos. I have never heard or seen pomellos but the are like a grape fruit but up to 30cm. Not as bitter as a grape fruit, they are delicious. At only $1 each if [...]

11 June 2012

Don't Shoot the Messenger

Listen up guys...I am not the writer and I have things to do so I don't always have time to do an instant update so please don't winge when I am not intantly updating this website. I do it when I can. Tha being said here is the next episode.

29 May 2012

Land at Last

As we approach the Marquise islands we come to huge sheer cliffs hard to gauge their height but can easily be 500m plus. I cannot wait to get ashore and out of the boat confines. I have been cramming for the last week and long for a decent walk. The first place I will head to will be any store that has [...]

22 May 2012 | 100o mls short of next landfall

Fishy Tales

Happy birthday Sis! (How many people get to have their birthday in the middle of the Pacific and be with their Dad and Brother? (BG)). We have now made it 2/3 on this leg, currently we are at 5 degrees south, 123 degrees west, 1000nm to the Marquises . The wind goddess Blusterina forgot us [...]

16 May 2012

Middle of nowhere

6 days out from the Galapagos and we hit 1000nm. 1/3 of the way, haven't see a boat of any sort since leaving. The winds have been consistently 10-15 knots with our boat speed averaging around 7+ knots. We look likely to cover the 3000nm in 18 days assuming the same weather. When the weather map is downloaded we check to confirm out current course directly east at 3.5 degrees south of the equator has predicted good winds. On every download there are always larger winds and storms to the south for us to be wary. If they come more northerly than predicted we plan to sail with them towards the equator as they reduce in intensity. Sandy has the cooking sorted and I'm sure the boys home in Cairns are missing that. Such a long way still to go and one has to be mindful to keep your mind occupied. It took me two days to get back my sea legs on this trip as I did not quite feel right. As the boat speed has been up too high for any fishing I still have managed to catch a flying fish in my bed courtesy of an open window. Cheers for now, mark.

Moving on

15 May 2012
Mark
Adios Galapagos!
Well max and i have lost another crew, Anne's gone and Sandy is on, I promise we do wash. Trailing the Galapagos Islands now behind us, we head for the Marquise islands. Having travelled a total of 2800nm since leaving St Martin we now need to cover 3000nm to make the Marquise. Well stocked with provisions and fuel our test will be mentally, to keep sane with the idle time. Having doubled our standard fuel capacity from 400 to 800 litres we have sufficient fuel to have one motor operating for up to 50% of the time. Assuming the trade winds are kind (one expects there to be good winds 2/3 of the time).
]The fuel for locals at the Galapagos would have to be possibly the cheapest in the world, $1 per gallon, 25 cents per litre. Obviously subsidized by the government but not it would seem us yachties. We pay $5.25 per gallon. We had to acquire a special permit from the captinary to be able to purchase at all. There we numerous offers from our water taxis to supply fuel at $4.50. Even when sailing well we still need to motor or have the generator operating for some time to make sufficient power to operate the 2 fridges and one freezer, make water and heat water for showers. 4 hours per day should be plenty to account for all.
The Galapagos, as per most places in the world that are unique, has the locals not understanding how special it is. There would, for what i assume by South American standards, be exceptional efforts to maintain the balance of human footprint on the environment. The islands flora and fauna suffer greatly from introduced species such as rats, cats and dogs along with others that have effected the environment. One such sad story is lonesome George. A giant tortoise found in 1971 and bought back to Santa Cruz in 1972, he was the last tortoise on one of the islands. The giant tortoises live for 150-200 years and 300 years ago there were 250,000 tortoises in total on the islands. There are many stories for each island how these populations became extinct or near extinct since man arrived. One other island had 14 left and on another all the iguanas became extinct in the quickest ever extinction of a reptile while occupied by US forces in WW2. The tortoise breeding programs are currently extensive and when large enough at about 2-3 years old they are released as the ferrel animals will not harm them.
The uniqueness of the islands I did not fully understand. I knew from history Charles Darwin formed the basis of his theory of evolution from his visit here. Each island in the archipelago has similar animals but they all differ, the giant tortoise, finch and iguanas are good examples. Each has its own differences from this separation. The largest island, Isabel, has 8 different species of giant tortoises. Obviously as one can see they are not particularly mobile units. As the island has 7 volcanos the larva flows created ridges isolating each area and hence they all evolve differently.
Well I obviously survived another near death experience from consuming tripe! The following 12 hours from consumption saw my joints swell and throat near close over. Fortunately this meant we could now do some recreation. We booked a dive and left at 6am, a 2 hour, at times hard bumpy ride saw us to our site. The current was strong the visibility not terrific. Starting in about 5m of water we back flipped in off the boat side to be bang in the middle of a massive school of striped fish about 20cm long. The bottom at this point was a little sandy and when grouped we headed toward the point we had stopped behind. Swimming with the island to our left we had the abyss to our right. Hoping to see Manta Rays and Hammer head schools. The water at time was warm but the current definitely had some very cool patches. We encountered seals, turtles, barracuda and various parrot fish. Lots of marine life as one would expect. The last 1/3 of our dive saw us head off the safety of the rocks into the deep blue. Sitting at 10-15 meters with I don’t know how maybe 100m below u, we were not disappointed as 3 manta rays circled. Again the visibility was difficult and we fortunately or unfortunately did not view any hammer head schools. They number up to 100 at times but I’m unsure until I encountered them directly how much piss I would put in my wet suit. Having not dived for a couple of years I needed the next day to recover. We also visited the largest island, Isabel. Our guide was terrific and we came to many land and marine iguanas, pink flamingos, penguins and seals. A snorkel at the end saw better visibility in the shallows than our dive.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups