Around The World Slowly

Just one more day here please!!!

ALEXES

Who: Jenny and Dave
Port: Sydney
13 July 2010 | Dartmouth
11 July 2010 | Weymouth
05 July 2010 | In the Hamble
28 June 2010 | Brighton
23 June 2010 | Zeebrugger Harbour
15 May 2010 | Zeebrugge (Belgium)
12 May 2010
28 April 2010
27 April 2010
21 April 2010 | Dunkerque
18 April 2010 | 50.57.782n 001.50.742e
17 April 2010 | 51.24.96n 000.44.07e
16 April 2010 | 51.30.45N 00.04.21W

Bound for La Rochelle, France

20 August 2010
Jenny & David Spencer
Heading down to La Rochelle we had another great sail, but only for the first four hours then the wind swung round and was on the nose . After that it seemed like a very long day. We were stopped again by French customs just doing their job. They checked us out on their computers and then were satisfied and let us go on our merry way, not before informing us that the marina was closed after the storm they had earlier in the year. We decided to see for ourselves as the marina wasn't responding to their VHF radio. It didn't look closed as a race was happening just inside the entrance to the harbour. A one night stay saw us staying for four more nights as it was such a lovely old town with lots of restaurants and plenty of atmosphere. There was a water bus leaving from the marina directly to the town centre every half hour during summertime. The marina was massive with 3000 berths. We were using a local person's berth while they were away, which causes a few problems when they return earlier than expected. We had taken the ferry into town one night and on our return our boat was gone. Surprise! The owner wanted his berth back so the marina staff promptly towed Alexes around the corner. They did try to contact us, but the mobile was left on the boat. The following afternoon they informed us they needed to move us again, this time four berths down. Our intentions were to leave the following morning anyway but this pushed us into fuelling up first then moving .As it turned out, we left at 6pm that night to get a head start. Two rough nights across the Biscay (not much wind but a big cross swell and lumpy seas) saw us head into the Port of Santander very early in the morning. We had to hard steer as the fluxgate compass was behaving very erratically with the heading data going crazy every ten minutes or so.
We dropped the anchor in the bay and went to sleep peacefully for the next four hours. On waking we saw every possible water craft go by. What a beautiful spot, and the sun the beautiful warm Spanish sun after 12 months in Northern Europe. Shit it's hot.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alexes
Vessel Make/Model: Taswell
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Jenny and Dave
Extra: We Departed Sydney Jan 2004 bound for NZ and Fiji. We joined the Blue Water Rally at Cairns QLD in Sept 2006 and have been sailing around the MED for the last few years before venturing up to UK and Holland.

ALEXES

Who: Jenny and Dave
Port: Sydney