Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

28. Storm at Sea

19 June 2011 | Norfolk, VA
Norfolk, Virginia
We have just arrived in Chesapeake Bay after motoring through the US Naval base, passing dozens of warships including the huge carrier "Dwight D Eisenhower".

Savannah is now 600 miles behind us and our route north, through the Carolinas was completed partly via the Intra-coastal Waterway, through Pamlico & Albemarle Sounds, inside Cape Hatteras and by off-shore passages, sailing up the Atlantic coast.

It has been a lovely trip, apart from one adventure during a three-day Ocean passage out of Charleston, which involved two nights at sea under the Full Moon.

The first evening was perfect as a light breeze pushing us along and we enjoyed dinner in the cockpit, but by 2am there was distant lightning astern and the moon soon became obliterated by an approaching storm.
We have been through some nasty thunderstorms and have learned to drop the sails before the storm hits. We had barely got them in and the engine started before lightening crackled around us and the deluge began. William fought to keep the bow pointing into the wind as we were bombarded with hailstones and the wind gusted violently, touching 67 knots as it went through a vicious 120 degree shift.

After about 30 minutes the seas were building fast and we had just started to run before the wind under bare poles when we shot out of the storm and peace returned!

Alexia is a strong sea boat and we were never in danger - except being hit by lightning, which continued to web across the sky with spectacular strikes into the sea.

On deck all was well with the exception of a shredded US courtesy flag and a dead flying fish in the scuppers.

We really dislike thunderstorms!
Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.