Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

Lost Baggage

18 January 2012
Marsh Harbour Marina, Gt Abaco Island
We have spent four days in Marsh Harbour since Jill's arrival just exploring and enjoying the Island's hospitality. This is the third largest town in the Bahamas, reasonable roads run north and south to the rest of the Island and - joy of joys - they drive on the left!

The island is 130 miles, long barely 4 miles at its widest point and worth every dollar of hiring a car and touring. There are few road signs, no road markings, a dearth of street lamps and only one stop light on the entire island - driving at night is an experience!

Another reason for extending our stay here is that Jill's luggage has been lost somewhere between Vancouver and Nassau. Jill had also mislaid her luggage tags without which there was no hope of finding the bag.

I offered Jill the run of my wardrobe but reality soon kicked in - with Jilly at 97lbs and me at somewhat half as much again, it meant that nothing actually fitted -my T-shirts slid off her shoulders, trousers fell to her knees and dresses...well...they just didn't attempt to touch the sides......

Clothing stores are limited but with the help of Vera, a super Lady cab driver, Jill ended up at the school outfitters, purchasing some rather nice uniform shorts and tops. Problem solved.

Jill isn't one to make a fuss - veteran of l5 Atlantic crossings, Pacific storms and survivor of the Queens birthday storm off New Zealand in 1994 where winds reached 75 mph with seas of 35 ft - the loss of her bag was, she said, insignificant. She had many stories to tell of life aboard around the world..

Our best offering has been winds of 20 knots and 4ft swells with a 2ft chop on top! We're happy with that, and Jilly agrees that, at nearly 80 years old, maybe she needs to slow down a bit!

We're not sure she means it - one morning, after checking her emails, she told us she has just confirmed her next sailing trip with friends - USA to New Zealand in March........ This pic of Jill and William on the foredeck.
Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.