Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

A starry night

23 February 2012
Elbow Cay/Seaspray Marina
Anchored off Elbow Cay for four days we took the opportunity to get to grips with some of the small jobs aboard Alexia which needed attention - my trusty 'crew' of WD40, duct tape, anti corrosion spray and dielectric grease were a great help.

Our last evening at this anchorage was in complete isolation - not another boat in sight. We had the best of sunsets all to ourselves and shared a fantastic view of the night sky with no-one. With zero light pollution from the land the canopy of bright stars was the best we have ever seen.

The Milky Way stood out clearly as a huge daubed smudge, the crescent moon (upside-down in this part of the world) smiled down and the plough, out to starboard, had its panhandle in line with a single light on a far shore making it appear as if it was tethered to the earth.

We departed next morning for Sea Spray Marina about 2.5 nm further south at the far end of Elbow Cay, double checking the tide height with our destination marina to ensure we were indeed at high tide. Why not just look at the published tide tables and check the charts? Well, in the Bahamas sometimes all is not what it seems especially with tidal movements and VPR (visual piloting rules) apply to most of the areas.

A good breeze took us most of the way under sail but engine on as we entered the approach where we were careful to stay within the marked channel with depths no less than 6 feet. The waters immediately outside the channel shallow quickly to 2 feet in places. Range markers helped us line up correctly and just when we felt the water was getting skinny there was a hard turn to starboard leading us into the marina basin.

As the tide went down large sandbars dried out and the shallow areas become obvious.

Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.