Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

Eroding Anodes

28 February 2012
Tilloo Cay, Castle Anchorage
With guests arriving in 10 days we start our slow journey back to Marsh Harbour where we will meet them in at the local airfield - there's no rush and we decide to anchor off Tilloo Cay for a few nights.

Although this island has many rental villas as well as residents all the housing fits in well with the natural surroundings - low roofs, natural colours, no obvious eyesores and all shared with the Bahamas National Trust.

We take Alexia quite close in to the shoreline - the water is good right up to 100 yards off - and we drop anchor in about 8ft - it's good holding and she takes immediately.

It is a grey day and as night falls huge black clouds pass overhead. There is no rain but three boats that we can see anchored off almost a mile away disappear completely into the gloom. Day 2 is brighter and William is planning to check out the anode on the propeller. Although this was replaced in November it is likely to be well worn away by now.

Using his snorkelling kit and attaching himself to the oxygen cylinder with its 25ft of breathing tube he disappears below the surface with a large wire brush and an allen key. 4 minutes later reappearing with a very small piece of anode the rest of which has long gone. The new anode is fitted quickly and easily - the water temperature is a little on the cool side and William spends as little time in it as possible.

Before leaving on day 3 william also checks out the hull below the water line for any marine growths reporting all is clean but that there is a 4.5 ft sucker fish which has attached itself to the bow just in front of the bowthruster - it was doing no harm but its eyes followed William as he swam by.
Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.