Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

Tilloo Cay

06 March 2013
Seaspray Marina, Elbow Cay
Another windy day but at least the sun was out and we were under no pressure to do anything or be anywhere. However, a storm forecast means that most of the good anchorages were getting full and yachts in marinas stayed there.

On leaving Treasure Cay our intended destination had been Hopetown and how pleased we were to find one free mooring ball available in the harbor. Must be our lucky day! Closer, closer and just about to pick up its line with the boathook, we find it has 'private' written on in the smallest letters. Damn it!!

A few calls on the VHF and we locate space in Seaspray Marina at the end of the island. It is an hour away. The long shallow entrance is not boat friendly, the tide is falling and we need to get a move on! We arrive in good time with inches to spare.

It's cold and we're all in double layers of warm clothes - is this really the Bahamas? This end of the island is least visited by cruisers but it is popular for land based folk and the letting business is huge. Houses of all shapes, sizes and pastel colours sit in the cold sunshine waiting for their occupants to arrive.

We walk ashore taking the long, winding road to the far point of the island leading to this photo overlooking the Tilloo Cut entrance into the Atlantic.

It looks idyllic but the palm fronds are bracing themselves against the northerly blow.
Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.