Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

The next leg

11 April 2013
Rockhouse creek-Ft Matanzas-St augustine
It's an early start this morning by 8am. We wanted to do another sector of offshore but our plans were thwarted by bad weather. High winds and swell plus a small-craft advisory warning by the Coastguard was in effect for the next three days.

Strictly speaking we aren't 'small craft' but the reported 6-8ft swell was not appealing and so we continued on the inside route - and why not, it takes a lot of beating.

We had a good wind and managed to sail for the best part of the journey at a soothing 5knots through the Mosquito Lagoon where pink flamingos on the shoreline gave a blast of colour. We see our first turtle of the journey surfacing just 10ft from Alexia. I'm not sure who was more surprised, us or the turtle - he disappeared quickly.

Being Sunday lots of families were out on the water - boats of all shapes and sizes, from pontoon boats to triple kayaks - the most people we've seen for ages. Picnics and smoke rising from BBQs. The area is vast and there are many exposed sandbanks where one can land, set up the campsite and have a great day away from it all.

We anchor at Rockhouse Creek where we have a good view of the lighthouse operating at the Ponce de Leon inlet.

Next day we left for Fort Matanzas where there is a superb anchorage by the old Fort and then on to St Augustine where we stopped at the municipal marina for two days.
Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.