Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head...

06 May 2013 | and so many jobs - mending, cleaning, servicing....
Ashepoo River SC - Toogoodoo Creek SC : 23 miles
We wake to the sound of wind howling through the rigging - everything is rattling and the forecast is not good. No rain is due until tomorrow when we are to expect really high winds and thunderstorms to be with us for a few days. Ideally we need an anchorage with good protection from the north.

Toogoodoo Creek about 20 miles further on seems to offer the right shelter with a high bank of trees a mile or so upstream.

Leaving our anchorage in the Ashepoo River, we connect with South Edisto River, into Dawho River via Watts Cut, on into the North Edisto River where Toogoodoo Creek takes a turn off to the left and we follow its winding course inland to the trees. It looks perfect for the coming blow but weather has also improved a little this afternoon and we have dinner on deck.

This is farming country and we hear the lowing of cattle from the farms on either bank and catch the smell of sweet dung and other earthy perfumes drifting across the river on the breeze.

A large farmhouse of wooden clapboard construction with large extending covered outside decks, hides among the trees.

It's a wonderfully relaxed and calming environment and as the tide falls it exposes mud banks on either side and soon there's a hell of a row from gulls screeching overhead who vie with the wading birds for whatever they can find living there. It's a magic spot. There is no-one here but us - again!

We end up spending five days in the Creek. Grey day after grey day, with high winds, lots of rain and a northerly chill in the air - although we hardly noticed it. There's always a running list of items on a boat and its great to have time to tick off a few because there will be more tomorrow and the next day, and the next...

One job I was glad to complete was new covers for our six fenders. They were quite dreadful - UV sun damage and rough wooden docks during the season had destroyed the material. Luckily, I had aboard a roll of industrial nylon tubing fabric and when done they looked rather good!!
Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.