Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

The jet stream is complaining

15 April 2013
Amelia River FL to Frederica River GA - 42 miles
A foggy morning greets us. Visibility probably down to 75 yards as we cant see the banks of the river. Breakfast below, heating on, is cosy.

Weather this season has been mad - something about the jet stream stalling -well, it needs to sort itself out and stop complaining about how much CO2 and other pollution it has to deal with and give us some good weather!

The wind picks up and by the time the fog clears we have another cool, damp, overcast day ahead. Waterproofs and warmers zipped, the wind in our teeth, engine on, we motor all day from 8am to 5.30pm (42 miles) to our anchorage in the Frederica River GA.

Our route takes us to the end of the Amelia River, past Fernandina Beach, into the St Mary's River which has a wide exit/entry to the Atlantic. At St Mary's there are also submarine pens and a museum. Security boats are visible enforcing the 'no go' area. A large sub in view has a huge sign blowing in the wind reading 'HMS Astute'.

We continue on across Cumberland Sound, becoming the Cumberland River higher up, then into St Andrews Sound, Jekyll Creek, St Simons Sound, finally the Frederica River.

It was a roller coaster of a day - the wide opens sounds had some challenging sea conditions. Hardly a house to be seen and even fewer boats. For the last few hours the rain never stopped - sweating on the inside and rain drenching us on the outside.

The Frederica River snakes off further into the marshes and we follow it until we find a good spot on a bend where a small private dock projects into the water and there are a couple of houses and trees. We need the company!!

We are also opposite another national monument, Fort Frederica, set in a state park, and through the trees we see some of the old ruins. Maybe we'll get ashore tomorrow.

Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.