Alexi and Bob Sail Away

10 April 2022
24 February 2022
12 January 2022
20 October 2021 | Moving South
23 September 2021
02 August 2021
02 June 2021
08 April 2021
08 April 2021
15 February 2021
19 January 2021 | Marathon
02 January 2021
19 November 2020
17 November 2020
31 August 2020 | Deltaville
13 July 2020
20 June 2020 | Portsmouth, VA

The stalled engine - A story from 2 boats ago

30 June 2019
Robert Malkin
We used to own a catamaran with an outboard engine. The engine was an incredibly reliable 25 horsepower Honda outboard on the back of a thirty foot sailing catamaran. It could easily push the boat at hull speed, started every time, ran smoothly and quietly, and it never quit. Well, it almost never quit.

I had been traveling north on the ICW for about a week with my son and daughter, both experienced teenage sailors. We had reached Elizabeth City, a wonderful small town at the entrance to the Dismal Swamp route to the Chesapeake Bay. A couple of days of visiting the museums, enjoying the city’s architecture, restaurants, and hospitality had passed pleasantly by. Now we were ready to depart.

I knew that the priming pump for the engine had been exposed to some salt water and was a bit sluggish. Not wanting to interrupt a great vacation, I had just been pumping the choke/prime a couple of extra times to get the engine started every morning. I had tried some WD40 a few days earlier but that hadn’t seemed to help. This day was like every other day, so I primed the engine a couple of extra times and turned the key. The engine turned over and roared to life.

With my skilled crew, we backed out of the free dockage at Elizabeth City without a problem. I could see a pack of cruising sailboats and trawlers on my left backed up behind the bascule bridge waiting for it to open as I slowly motored out of the narrow channel toward the Pasquotank river. On my right – and seemingly all around me – were people riding Jet Skis to and fro. There was little wind and nearly no current, but a small regatta of sailors was gathering just ahead, probably waiting to move further down river where we had seen races the day before.

With my kids putting away the dock lines and a clear, but crowded path forward, I went to throttle up the reliable outboard. The engine spluttered, choked, coughed, and then stalled. No amount of swearing or cranking would get the engine started again. Jet Skis were whizzing by, and just then I heard the siren indicating that bridge was about to open. In a few moments the narrow channel would be full of boats wanting to get somewhere. And there we were, slowly coasting to a stop, right in everyone’s way!

As was our custom when we cruised, we had prepared the anchor for quick deployment before departing. I told my son to go forward and get ready to drop the anchor. My daughter had already grabbed the boat hook. Though my son moved forward and grabbed the anchor rode, he was not convinced it was a good idea. He felt that anchoring at that point would have left us right in the middle of a busy channel. We would be stopped and possibly stuck there for some time. We’d be a target for any Jet Ski with an attention deficit problem and a nuisance to anyone itching to reach the Albemarle Sound before the afternoon storms made it a rough ride.

My son’s idea was to use our momentum to move us out of the traffic and toward some nearby docks. I could see that the docks had plenty of shiny fiber glass we could destroy. But, we would be out of traffic. Plus, there was a chance that someone might be able to help us, and if we did it just right, we might be able to stop at the dock and tie up until we could repair the engine. We only had a few seconds before the boats from the now nearly raised bridge would descend upon us and our momentum was waning.

I quickly called out on the VHF and raised a few people on the docks that said they would help if they could. I judged that our momentum was sufficient to at least move us out of the channel and we could still drop the anchor at any time if that seemed like the only option. So I decided my son was right, eased the wheel over and pointed us toward the large, stationary, and expensive objects floating all around the dock.

We eased our way forward. Just as I lost steerage way — and was now adrift and out of control — we reached the limits of the fifty-foot dock lines I always kept on deck. It was going to be very close. I was pointing toward an opening at the docks and there was now someone standing there to catch our dock lines. But I was not sure we would make it and I was not sure we would be going slow enough to avoid some serious pain.

The good news was that we were now out of the busy channel. The bad news was that we were hardly out of danger. Even at this slow speed, I knew there was a big risk. A sailboat carries a lot of momentum, and we could really do some damage to the docks, my boat, or other boats. I could imagine the crunching sound my boat would make as it slowly imbedded its bow into the late-model trawler gently rolling at the end of the dock.

My son and daughter had practiced throwing dock lines. Without me having to tell her, my daughter had already made fast a long line to the bow cleat, cleared the line and coiled just the right amount in her right hand, with a bit more in her left hand that she could pay out as the line flew. She’d need a great throw to hit that man standing on the dock now about thirty feet away. There would not be a second chance.

With a big swing and a bit of groan, she let the line fly. It was a perfect throw! In fact, she had hit the man on the head with a coil of line. Without me having to say anything, the man wrapped the line halfway around a pole and used the friction to start to reduce our speed. Within seconds my son had thrown a second line that was also nimbly caught and wrapped. A few seconds later it was over as our anchor barely clanged against the dock, announcing our safe arrival.

After tying up, showering, eating and relaxing, we took some time to discuss what had gone right and wrong. It had all happened very quickly. But we had done a few things right. We were ready and able to deploy the right equipment; the anchor had been ready, we had long dock lines on the stanchions, and we had a boat hook within reach. We had also practiced with our equipment so we could grab and use it with confidence. Everyone on board knew how to tie a cleat hitch and throw a line.

My son had been right to move us out of the channel. If I had dropped the anchor as I originally intended, we would have been a nuisance and perhaps a danger to every boat that passed. It was also wise to call ahead on the VHF radio so that everyone who was listening knew we had a problem and people on the docks could come to our aid: we would not have been able to stop the boat as we did without their help. It was a risky decision to head for the docks, but we could have dropped the anchor at any time, or if I had been moving fast enough, I could have steered away and dropped anchor at the last moment away from the docks.

Later that evening, we took apart the engine and realized that the WD40 that had seemed ineffective a few days before had finally made its way into the priming pump. The pump was now working perfectly. When I pumped it several times to compensate for its poor performance the preceding days, I probably flooded the engine. But we also realized something else. We had failed to consider the most obvious solution to our problem – raise the sails and sail away without the engine! A reliable outboard is nice but sometimes it makes sense to let the wind move a sailboat!
Comments
Vessel Name: Lamantin
Vessel Make/Model: Silverton 372
Hailing Port: Wilmington, NC
Crew: Alexi and Bob
About: We are taking a few years to live aboard our boat and visit some amazing places.
Extra: Let us know if you want to come visit!
Lamantin's Photos - Main
Our time in Florida in the winter of 2021-22
13 Photos
Created 12 January 2022
Sights of us moving from the upper Chesapeake to FL in the fall of 2021
4 Photos
Created 20 October 2021
Summer 2021 spent in the Chesapeake
8 Photos
Created 23 September 2021
It is a huge job to replace the fuel tanks on a boat. Fortunately, they last about 20-25 years. So, we are not likely to ever do this again.
6 Photos
Created 2 August 2021
Photos from our trip from Florida to Rhode Island in the spring of 2021
2 Photos
Created 19 May 2021
We spent Dec/Jan 20/21 in the Florida Keys
23 Photos
Created 21 December 2020
Sights of the east coast of the US in the fall of 2020
4 Photos
Created 19 November 2020
Photos from our week in Utah
5 Photos
Created 16 October 2020
We spent a few summer months sailing around the southern Chesapeake
12 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
We sailed from West Palm Beach to Portsmouth VA in early 2020
20 Photos
Created 6 June 2020
We had two great weeks of friends and family visiting us on the boat on Great Exuma Island
18 Photos
Created 8 March 2020
The Exumas is a long chain of islands with many remote and beautiful spots to drop an anchor
39 Photos
Created 19 January 2020
We had a great New Year's vacation with our children and friends in the Bahamas
27 Photos
Created 10 January 2020
Photos of the trip from Georgia to The Bahamas
13 Photos
Created 15 December 2019
It was a lot of work and a lot of good byes ...
6 Photos
Created 6 December 2019
Trip down the ICW from Georgetown, SC to Brunswick, GA
10 Photos
Created 19 June 2019
Photos to get you oriented to the boat
11 Photos
Created 10 June 2019